Building a timber framed lean to Greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I plan to build a timber framed lean to green house, with polycarbonate glazing. The timber work is not a problem, but I have never used Polycarbonate sheeting before. I have been reading around on the web and have found out that I can join the polycarbonate sheets together, using roof bars supported by timber joists.
Questions I have are:
1. Can I use the same principles for joining polycarbonate sheets for the vertical walls of the greenhouse as for the sloping roof, i.e., the different tapes needed (top and bottom), using vertcally mounted roofbars and end caps ?
2. Is there an easy way of joining polycarbonate sheets which meet at 90 degrees, e.g. the roof to the sides, or would it be better to use a wooden sofit board instead, which hides the joins and use F sections to end the polycarbonate rather than end caps ?

Thanks in advance for you help

Sponsored Links
RogGriffin said:
Hello,
I plan to build a timber framed lean to green house, with polycarbonate glazing. The timber work is not a problem, but I have never used Polycarbonate sheeting before. I have been reading around on the web and have found out that I can join the polycarbonate sheets together, using roof bars supported by timber joists.
Questions I have are:
1. Can I use the same principles for joining polycarbonate sheets for the vertical walls of the greenhouse as for the sloping roof, i.e., the different tapes needed (top and bottom), using vertcally mounted roofbars and end caps ?
2. Is there an easy way of joining polycarbonate sheets which meet at 90 degrees, e.g. the roof to the sides, or would it be better to use a wooden sofit board instead, which hides the joins and use F sections to end the polycarbonate rather than end caps ?

Thanks in advance for you help

I can't see a reason why you cant use the roofbars vertically - they'll need to be attached to vertical timber though as they dont have strength. Just as easy then to just use timber with some beading/moulding to make a window frame in which the pc sits

Thanks for the reply to question 1.

Any thoughts on my question 2 ?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back