Building a Hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I’m part way through having an extension built and we are having a log burner.. I have found some beautiful black line stone in 300 x 300 cuts and plan to lay these in a 900 x 900 square to meet the needs of the stove.

What I’m not sure about is the best way to lay them in place , I have just laid a chip board interlocking sub floor which I was intending to lay on to ?

The plan was to make a frame slightly larger than the stone, put in a mix of sharp sand and cement with black dye for colour then lay the stone in place , finish by filling any gaps with the left over mix .

The questions that have come up are -

Is it ok to lay the mix directly on to the chip board floor? Will it take or have an issue with the moisture, it is moisture resistant board

Any help or advice would be greatly received

Thanks Chris

Sponsored Links
Briefly, no, you cant lay your hearth on wood but to understand more fully, and learn much about installing stoves see:
stovefittersmanual.co.uk - hearths

OK , I forgot to mention the stove is raised on a stove stand , if i cant lay it on the chipboard what would you recomend as i have this as a base floor ?

Thanks

I Have Just read the web site , and it states

If your stove is freestanding in a room and therefore NOT going into a recess under a chimney, AND the stove is independently certified not to heat the hearth underneath it to more than 100 degrees centigrade (many stoves available), then hearth regulations are very simple as a full thickness constructional hearth is not required: one can have just 12mm of non-combustible materials under the stove (e.g. tiled floor surface or glass laid onto carpet/wood floor etc.).

I have checked and it states in the Stove manual it will only heat the hearth upto 60 degrees ?

Dose this change things ?

Sponsored Links
I'd check with your building control requirements on dimensions. but yes your hearth only needs to be 12mm thick. between combustible surface.

however you still need building control so check if your installer is happy to sign off

It's not so much about the stove heating the hearth, as "gluing" the tiles to the chipboard, which I assume is P5 grade. I'm not an expert in this situation, but you really want a flexible adhesive, and I'm not sure how good they are on chipboard; you may have to put some plywood down first, and then make a frame around the hearth afterwards to hide the plywood.

Thanks for the tip, a friend just mention ply would be a better bond as well . once the frame is moved there will be oak flooring running up to the edge to hide the base so just the lime stone will be seen .

And yes it’s P5 Grade

Ive had a look about and I can get heat resistant mortar which is used for building stoves outside so this may be a good adhesive

Check whether the adhesive will work on P5 chipboard, as the shiny resin surface doesn't take adhesive very well, although an acrylic primer might help.

Just read another thread, and they suggest nomoreply.net as a better alternative.

OP,
you are jumping the gun:
call in a HETAS for a heads up, & contact the stove Mfr's with details of your proposed install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back