Seal limestone fireplace hearth before or after laying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm going to lay some black limestone pavers for a fireplace hearth on a bed of 4:1 sand cement mix. Do I need to seal/oil the stone before laying to try and avoid marking / staining or do it once there all down and grouted?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should be fine to do it once it's all down and pointed. Make sure your mix for bedding and pointing are not too wet, especially the pointing, if it's too wet you will get cement staining on the pacers. Once it's all laid, let it got off, then give it a clean if needed then leave it unsealed for a good few days to let any moisture both on and in the stone and pointing to dry out, check for anymore staining while it's drying, once an few days have past and you are happy all the moisture has gone, then apply your sealant.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Richard

Would you lay the hearth then Wait to set then point or point it straight away once layed? Also would you reccomend a 4:1 sand cement mix for adhesive and pointing?
Sorry for all the questions I'm very new to this
Thanks

Lay it in a mix of 4:1 and let that set over night at least, then point it up the next day. For a nice finish, use a softer sand for the pointing, I tend to use a building or plastering sand for joints up to 15mm. If the joints are wider than that, I use the sharp sand to point it. Again 4:1 will be fine. The sand will dertermin what kind of colour your pointing will be, if you're unsure, knock up a few different samples and check what colour you prefer, either that or get a mortar dye.

Sponsored Links
Ok that's great. Would you use building sand for bedding the slabs too?
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back