Limestone hearth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to fit a limestone hearth in my daughters house. I believe I need to seal the limestone top ( and bottom to prevent damp staining coming through?) before installing and again after fitting. Is Lithofin the only product as at £30 it is costing much more than two 900 x 600 bits of limestone?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What damp?

Decent tile suppliers have a range of sealants available and can advise. I'd be more concerned about protecting or sealing against soot deposits or general household grime, than damp.

What damp?

I was led to believe that laying it on a bed of mortar could stain it.
Will try to get to a tile suppliers today but travel around Carlisle is a nightmare at present with the flooding and bridges closed.

Sponsored Links
You have my sincere sympathies.
For the flooding or thinking laying on a bed of mortar would stain it? Don't know whether to say thanks or not lol. Personally unaffected by the flooding other than travel being difficult and very time consuming.

Anyway got some Lithofin Stain-Stop so going to tackle the job tomorrow. Hopefully get the stove fitted on Saturday.

Unless its travertine or a very light stone then normal mortar will be fine. Be careful not to get cement stains on the surface or at least wipe it straight off as you can not use mortar acid to clean limestone. Be very careful of any acid on limestone as it will make a disaster of it.

Lithofin stainstop or similar is good stuff.

SAM_1788.JPG SAM_1793.JPG SAM_1819.JPG Got it done. Just need to paint the render once she decides on the colour.SAM_1816.JPG SAM_1825.JPG SAM_1845.JPG

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back