building a lean to roof , purlins and ridge plate.

ive been told by the shingle people that i cant use lead ,apparently there are acids in the shingles that eat metals.

Sponsored Links
nothing yet , i need to give them a call and find out tomorrow. ive got three days now to get everything sorted before the new roof has to go on , thats three days to strip off the old one and do any work on the walls etc etc.

edit

ok , just got off the phone and they just said that if lead or other metals are to be used then a bitumen paint should be applied between the the shingle and the metal , so thats good news.

so , where does the flashing go? under the shingle or above it? also , whats a bell drip bead?

also , i will be using copper rain water goods so could i use copper to flash it with? would i install copper the same way?

sorry if all these questions seem a bit obvious , its just that i need to do this once and do it properly as i probably wont have the money to rectify any mistakes i make along the way.

Sponsored Links
the cheap,easier way to do it

you need to chase a joint in the render 150mm above the top of the roof.i would make it approx 40mm deep,as mentioned before you need to get it into the block and not just the render.the bottom again wants to be a min of 150mm down the shingles.not an easy job if youre not familiar with it.

more detailed way to do it.

as above but cut an aditional 100-150mm of render above the flashing line.fit the flashing,then nail the bell drip bead on,over the lead and 25mm below the top,this will coveer the joint.thn get the wall re-rendered.

fors and againsts for both methods.

any builders/plastering merchants should sort you a bell drip bead

lovely , so the lead actually site ontop of the shingles and not underneath them.

one last question , i am off up to the house tonight to start work tomorrow so i dont have any internet after tonight.

fixing the rafters to the ridge plate , i wa in b+q and saw brackets to fix rafters/joists etc to plates , would these be better than bird mouthing and notching?
personally i prefer to bird mouth and notch the rafters in , i take it if i do this i will have to drive in nails to hold them in place? any old nails or would ring shank (ribbed) be better?

also , do i nail the felt to the rafters or do i staple it? or should i nail down through the counter batten only to hold the felt?
and the counter batten ,do i put it on every rafter , every couple of rafters?

i feel like i should be paying you for this chukka , you are pretty much doing all the work for me here. :D

id notch the rafters and screw to the plate.

staple or nail the felt or it will be blow away before you have a chance to fix the battens.

counter batten on each rafter.

have i forgotten anything???

thank you very much chukka , you have been most helpful.
i shall update you on my progress when i return to civilisation in a few days.
i doubt i shall have the new roof on before the middle of next week but i may have it half way there if the walls are in good nick and i dont come up against any unforeseen problems.
we shall see.
cheers buddy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back