Lean to Roof Rafter Size and Purlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

Hope you are all well. I have started to renovate my old Garage and was told by a friend to use 4 by 2 timber for the lean to roof rafters. I bought the 4 by 2 and started to install them with a birds mouth at the bottom connecting (used youtube to find out how to do birdmouths). At the top the i have bolted a 6by 2 timber to the wall the rafters connect to this.

After thinking i thought these timbers were well under sized as the width of my garage is 4.2m and the length of my garage is around 9.4m. The rafters length are 4.6m.

What i have done now is put 8 by 3 timber purlin across the underneath of the rafters for the entire 9.4m span at 1.5m spacing. I had to join 2 pieces of 4.8m 8 by 3 timbers together to get the 9.4m length. I have done this so that it technically breaks the rafter span up. So at 1.5m i have a purlin and then at 3m i have a purlin running across the rafters at 9.4m length.

The roof is going to have conrete roof tiles i wanted to ask the purlins that i have put in so that in my idea it brakes the roof span up is this sufficient to combat the undersized 4 by 2 rafters. Also since the purlin is 9.4m length and it runs the full lenght without any support in the middle only the two ends of the purlins are supported. Is this okay?

You help will be much appreciated. To let you know im only a novice DIY er so please reply in simple terms.

Kind regards

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back