Rafter support beam, is this useable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, this forum has been such a help but I can find an answer to this!

The purlin I have in place halfway up the rafter length is supported by one brace on either side of the roof face onto a supporting wallnin middle of loftspace (terrace house). On one side the brace has slipped and cracked at its birdmouth join onto the purlin and the purlin is clearly bowed a bit but no cracks. I want to support the rafters on this side.

This beam at 'floor' level goes all the way across into the brick work at both sides.

My question is, can I setup a rafter strut onto this lower beam? And can I 'sister' this beam to strengthen it, without going into the brick? It's an old beam so I'd like to sister it if possible. And I'd use a 2x4 length horizontally across the rafters and strut up onto that length from this beam below if use able. Any help appreciated

Attachments

• 20230401_161527.jpg
    20230401_161527.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
(I would not be looking to remove the purlin at all, just to add struts to support the rafters)

Needs a couple more pictures, I think.
Suggest you need a structural bod to advise, for when you come to sell, but :
I needed to stiffen a ceiling so it bowed less when I walked around in the loft above it. I sistered a (laid flat :rolleyes: ) ceiling binder with a new beam of 50 x 125 sawn, with long screws. Stiffness is proportional to width x (depth CUBED), so an on-edge 50 x 125 is double the stiffness, half the deflection, of 50 x 100. It worked for me. In your position I'd use 50 x 150, over 3x as stiff as 50 x 100. No harder (?) and price difference is insignificant.
In inches,
4³ = 64____*
5³ = 125___**
6³ = 216___***+

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you need to replace the broken purlin prop in the existing position, otherwise the one on the other side will push your spine wall over.

Sponsored Links
Also, unrelated, move all that junk that is compressing your insulation and roll out another 170mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back