How to support existing rafters with a new ridge beam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a gabled roof made up of two chunky pairs of rafters, and two dozen much lighter rafters that sit on purlins resting on the larger rafter (and the stone gable-ends of the property).

It looks a bit like the diagram below:

1) Green 'lightweight' rafters
2) Purple 'heavy' rafter (which also has a lateral tie 1/3rd up I've omitted from the diagram)
3) Blue ridge board
4) Pink purlin

The purple rafter is buried into the stone wall, and the green rafters sit on top of the rubble wall, and the purlin. Some of the green rafters are attached to ceiling ties, but most aren't, so the only thing preventing the roof from spreading out is the tie on the purple rafter.

1674505708285.png

My plan is to turn this roof space into a vaulted ceiling for extra head-space. I've provided detailed measurements to my engineer, and he's produced plans that call for the installation of

1) Extra (large) rafters
2) A ridge beam to hold the weight of the roof, removing the need for ceiling ties. He's happy the span is short enough for a load bearing timber.

I'm currently thinking about how do go about executing this upgrade to the roof, and am looking for insights from those with more experience.

My current thought is to fix collar ties at the top of each existing rafter. This partly to provide extra support to the ridge of the roof, but also to serve as a plate I can rest the new ridge beam under.

Once the existing rafters are supported by the new beam, I would then slide in the new rafters underneath the existing purlin (supported with a birdmouth), and hang them from the new beam with either metal hangars or another birdmouth.

Here's a diagram of what I'm thinking:-

1) Orange collar ties
2) Red ridge beam
3) Yellow new rafter

1674507303504.png

For further context, here's an image of the inside of the roof colour-coded as above
1674507576745.png

Thanks in advanced for your thoughts!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back