Building a new shed - block / timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This one is for some time down the line but i'm just trying to gather info early.

We currently have a DIY shed in our garden but it's on the small side for me. I'd like something bigger. Not necessarily hight but certainly length & width.

I'd prefer a block built shed possibly dashed to match the house but i don't want to be closed minded about a timber shed.

Going same size for same size - will there be a huge difference in cost between the two? Without going out in the pouring rain right now & measuring what i'm looking at i think off the top of my head i'd be wanting 14ft-x-10ft. Or it may have been 14ft-x-12ft, something like that.

Also if you were to go for a block built shed, the next question would be double or single skin? I would've thought single skin would suffer badly from damp? I know a workmate of mine built his own shed & made it single skin & all he does is complain about the damp.

Sponsored Links
If you dashed a single skin shed it will help things a little. If you can lay blocks yourself it will be a bit more expensive but not that much. If you would need to pay someone to put them up then it will be a fair bit dearer.

Cavity would be far superior but much dearer obviously. For a shed I'd go for timber. If you want a workshop/garage that you may spend time in or have decent equipment in then masonary with cavity.

Due to positioning & walkways & such there's no way i'd get anything like my car in there so that'd be out of the question.

Other than that i'd be storing things like bikes (push), power washer & i'd be looking at building up tools for various jobs - car/around the house.

At first i was closed minded & was all about the block shed (oh i'd have to pay someone by the way. I could lay blocks myself, but that's not to say everything would be straight), but i had a look at timber sheds & i guess mine would have to be custom made.

The only thing is what i saw online that was closest to my dimensions all came with big side windows. I wouldn't want that so people could see in. A roof window yeah but not big side windows. They all had them though (big side windows) which was a bit annoying.

Well you'll be glad to know they are cheaper without windows. :)

But there are various degrees of sheds from basic, right up to a timber frame house.

A standard basic shed would have perhaps be 3 inch studs covered on the outside with shiplap or weatherboard cladding.

like this
7.jpg

Then you have a full timber frame construction which could be 6'' studs filled with insulation, membranes/ vapour barriers and plasterboard on the inside and the outside would be ply sheeting then membrane then counter battens then cladding of some sort.

3d_1_en.jpg

A timber shed need not be the basic affair in the first picture but somewhere short of the full spec of the second.

A decent timber frame structure, i.e not a shed, will be far superior to a damp single skin masonary affair and probably similar price. However obviously the masonary one will last longer and need a little less maintenance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back