Base for concrete block shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Thinking of building a shed in the garden out of 4" block and then cladding in timber of some sort. Size will be approx 14ft x 10ft.

Should this be build in strip footings or on a raft?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps

just wondered the reason for for strip over raft. Was hoping raft would of been ok

Sponsored Links
It would be but I think its more of a faff for lesser quality.

You do understand the basics of a raft?
Probably not. I’ve only ever done strip footing and seen rafts being mentioned. Trying to save double concrete deliveries if anything :)

lot of messing about with shuttering and steels. no point.

Thanks all

looks like it will be strip, I was jus trying to save money/time/materials but looks like not worth it

Raft. A strip is pointlessly excessive and wasteful for a shed.

What, digging a single rectangular hole in the ground, pouring in concrete and getting the foundation and the floor is excessive? There's nothing simpler.

What, digging a single rectangular hole in the ground, pouring in concrete and getting the foundation and the floor is excessive? There's nothing simpler.

that’s what I initially thought until I posted here and thought I must of missed something.

There's nothing simpler.
Strip.

Raft = Dig off footprint. Dig deeper around the edges. Put polythene around the base and down into your thickening trough. Fit mesh and bars in the slab and thickened areas. Fit shuttering square level and to exact footprint of the shed and at a pre-determined level below ground. No thanks.

Gimme strip every time and twice on Sundays. No architects recommend raft if they don't have to - because they are pants.

Strip.

Raft = Dig off footprint. Dig deeper around the edges. Put polythene around the base and down into your thickening trough. Fit mesh and bars in the slab and thickened areas. Fit shuttering square level and to exact footprint of the shed and at a pre-determined level below ground. No thanks.

Gimme strip every time and twice on Sundays. No architects recommend raft if they don't have to - because they are pants.
The OP is building a shed not a skyscraper.

Dig out the topsoil, formwork may or may not be needed, no mesh, no messing, pour the concrete, trowel it up, boots off feet up.

Possible bit of hardcore, or thicken the slab. But otherwise, not the drama as per your itemised quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back