Building a playhouse - first the base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
My current project is to build a playhouse for our 2 girls. I've looked around the net for flat packed deliveries - some look really good, but on closer inspection appear to be made of cardboard. Internal frames built using 2x1 (at the most!), flimsy roofing etc etc. I am not a carpenter by trade, but am pretty handy with most things and think I can have a go at building a playhouse from scratch (refloored the whole house - including stairs, installed decking etc etc, so reasonably competent with wood and tooling).

I have spent a good amount of time on google, and searching these forums, and have built up a reasonable base of knowledge on shed building.

Initially, I was planning on building decking, and then placing a flat-pack playhouse on top. I got as far as building the base for the deck before deciding to build my own playhouse. My plan now is to use the bearers as the basis for the playhouse, and then deck around the bottom up to the sides of the shed to finish off the 'setting'.

See the pic of what I've done so far. The area will take a 2100x2400 playhouse. The bearers are pressure treated 2x4 fixed at 550mm centres using 6x100 decking screws. I sat the bearers off the ground using 2x4 and screwed again using the 6x100 screws. These are screwed with 2 directly into the bearers, and one down from the top of the 'posts' at an angle. I intend on putting joists across the bearers in the area where the playhouse will sit to ensure strength. All end cuts have been treat with cuprinol end-cut preserver/sealer.

I paved the area a year or so ago with cheapish flags set on a dry mix of sand/cement. They aren’t the most even in the world and are riven, but are very solid with no movement.

A couple of questions at this point please:
1. Will the support posts I have used be enough to support the weight of the playhouse ? Should I be adding more and/or adding more to the joists when then go in ? I wanted to lift the bearers to ensure I had the right water run-off taking into account some of the unevenness of the flag stones, and to stop them fully sitting on the ground and rotting.
2. Would 2x3 or 2x2 be enough for joists between base bearers, or should I stick with 2x4 ?
3. Can I screw/nail the playhouse base directly to the bearers, or do I need to make another base frame and screw this to the bearers, and then a ply on top of that ? I will be using 3/4" exterior ply for the floor. I will likely add another bearer or two (if the base can go directly onto them) to align with the sides/front/back of the shed so that the base can be screwed round the edges. I initially did not space the bearers according to the size of the ply, as this was not the original plan. Hmm – just a thought though. I may well have to put in another floor frame else I wont be able to fixed the vertical wall frames as I cant get under the bearers to screw in from below…. Would any metal strapping or other metal work be enough to hold the verticals to the bearers if I cant get screws in from below ?
4. I am going for a 2100x2400 playhouse, should I be using 2x4 for the wall framework ? Advice on this seems to vary- from 2x4 to 2x1! I obviously want to keep an eye on costs, but am happy to spend more to get a better and sturdier result.
5. I am planning on shiplapping the outside. I assume this can go straight onto the wall frames and I don’t need to skin them with ply first ?
I would like to put in some sort of insulation inside and am planning on styrene between the shiplap and an internal skin of ½” ply. Sound reasonable ? This would keen it a little warmer in there, whilst also created a nicer/safer internal wall for the kids.

Sorry for the long post – but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated – especially with regards to the construction of the floor on the bearers and if I need another frame on top.

Sponsored Links
My only advice would be to consider how long they will actually use it for. You don't say what ages they are but kids can be very fickle and what seems like a good idea at the time can end up being a real 'white elephant', so I wouldn't try to make it too indestructible

My only advice would be to consider how long they will actually use it for. You don't say what ages they are but kids can be very fickle and what seems like a good idea at the time can end up being a real 'white elephant', so I wouldn't try to make it too indestructible

They are 6 and 3 (7 and 4 by the summer). I am happy to spend the time making something that will last, as it will become a shed for me after they have finished with it!
As its not a huge workshop type building, would 2x3 bearers be sufficient for the wall joists and rafters ? Small changes like that could well end up saving a good chunk of ££. Happy to spend the extra, but not if I dont need to!

Sponsored Links
Have you compared the materials cost with a store bought shed

Broadly, yes. The playhouse I basing this on is about 330. But that's built using 28mmx28mm framing! If I suggested using that for a home built shed, you lot would shoot me! I'd rather spend the same, build to my spec (a bit bigger), and have a go myself!

Broadly, yes. The playhouse I basing this on is about 330. But that's built using 28mmx28mm framing! If I suggested using that for a home built shed, you lot would shoot me! I'd rather spend the same, build to my spec (a bit bigger), and have a go myself!

Your right we would ,In a righteous kind of way

Your right we would ,In a righteous kind of way

So do you think 2x3 is ok, for a 2100mm Sq shed? With bearers at 500mm centres?

Should be fine, I built a shed similar size and lined the inside with osb, it gave the shed strength, like yours was built into a corner so only clad two sides, used exterior ply on fence sides and built these two walls first erecting them whole as access was difficult to fence sides.Was on a budget so used 4 pallets for base and boarded over with osb.

Great - thanks. I'll probably clad 3 sides - but good tip regards the restricted space.

I would use 3x2 for the framework although 2x2 would probably be more than suitable

Cladding can be expensive! Put in some nice big windows so you have less timber to buy!! And also good to have lots of natural light.
I got 2nd hand double glazed units for a shed I built, you often see them on gumtree/freecycle, when people are doing up houses. Also got an old exterior glazed house door

I would use 3x2 for the framework although 2x2 would probably be more than suitable

Cladding can be expensive! Put in some nice big windows so you have less timber to buy!! And also good to have lots of natural light.
I got 2nd hand double glazed units for a shed I built, you often see them on gumtree/freecycle, when people are doing up houses. Also got an old exterior glazed house door

Looking at about a £ per m for treated shiplap, so about £180 in all. Looking at perspex sheets from eBay for Windows - 3mm thick in A2 size. Meant for art but look perfect and cheap.

Perspex will look very rough in a short time,what price is it

Hmm because it's not toughened surface? its about a tenner for approx 420x600 3mm.
Had a Google and found shed windows.co.uk - choice of polycarbonate or acrylic. Poly looks a few £ more - supposed to be clear as glass. Reasonable choice? 457mm Sq about right for 2 I am the front, one in the eves on the back wall to get light in over next doors fence, and one on a side wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back