which timber for a 2100mm gap ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all. I am coming to the end of a playhouse build. The depth is 2100mm, and I am planning an internal platform to form a 'second floor'. This will be about 600mm wide and will basically be a wood frame and a sheet of T&G flooring. My original plan was to screw a length of 2x4 between the front and rear wall frame to create a single cross beam, another along the side wall, and then cross bearers either between or on top of these (likely on top to spread the load and not just rely on th screws to hold the weight). I woud like to avoid legs going down to the floor to support this. Is that feasible, and if so, would 2x4 be enough or should I go larger (ie 2x6) ?
Needs to support 2 young kids and associated junk.

Sponsored Links
A playhouse for kids needs to take the rough and tumble of play, i.e. jumping and the like and in this instance it's the load bearing resilience over the depth of the wood that should be considered. 145x38mm c16 visually graded or c22 machine graded would be my choice for both trimming and joists. Built as a platform, this could then be sitting on 2x4 bearers each side.

Hope this is helpful...pinenot

Yes - thanks. So use 6x2 for the platform, laid in lengths between 2x4 supports screwed to the wall frame. Sounds good, and a different way of thinking than using a sheet.

I think 6x2 a bit of overkill, 6x11/2 or even 6x1 would be much better...pinenot

Sponsored Links
And cheaper :)
I'll see if I can find some with a decent finish as they kids will be all over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back