Building a stone fireplace buttheres wet patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a dormer bungalow in the country and when built, there was no cavity around the chimney. In winter time when we get heavy rain, we get this small damp patch in the living room which apperas but goes away again when its dry.

Now, i know that if i want this problem to be gone for good, ill have to knock it down and rebuild it however, that is quite alot of work just for just 1 small wet patch that isnt that much of a problem to us. Weve always liked the idea of building a stone fireplace in the living room and now that we have been given enough stone for free for it of my brother, we are wanting to know if this sounds ok to go ahead with.

Where our fireplace is, its a flat wall so when building this new fireplace with the stone, we will be stepping it out so we have the look of a chimney breast. We are going to run one 6inch DPC right up the wall where the stone meets the excisting wall. Im going to use a sealent that can be used under water to stick the DPC to the wall so if the damp ever spreads, it wont seep into the new stone fireplace.

I am going to tie new stone work to the block wall with L brackets nailed in with masonary nailes with a rubber washer.

This new firplace will be getting close off with anew flue and a 24kw wood burner installed.

The stone fireplace will be something like this ion the picture below

simple-stacked-stone-fireplace.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back