Building a storage cupboard (i hope)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking off making a storage cupboard for the kitchen that is built across the wall, it will be 60 inches in length and 78 inches high, as i am a beginner in woodwork can anyone please tell me is it a good idea to build a frame and basically just build around it???? Any help is very much appreciated.

Sarah

Sponsored Links
Sarah - is your cupboard going to be a single unit hung on the wall, or is the weight going to be on the floor, 'cos what you are describing is going to be a bit of a beast. How deep (front to back) will it? What will it contain (weight)? How many doors, hinged or sliding? Number of shelves? If being hung on the wall, how strong is the wall construction?

Two methods of making: your frame idea, or made from sheet material. Framed and then clad in thinish sheeting is likely to be lighter in weight than one made just from sheet material (which would have to be thicker to accommodate construction methods). Generally, a cupboard made from sheet material only (MDF for example), using screws and other 'knock-down fitting', is usually more straight forward to make. The hard part is getting the sheeting accurately cut to size, usually this can be done at the timber yard where you buy the material.

Let us have a bit more info then better advice can be offered.

Hello Symptons, thxs for the reply,

I want to build it off the floor by about 6" and it will be built against a solid brick wall, i only want it about 7" deep so i can store tins of food etc. I am going to do hinged doors and will have to make 3 doors as if i done 2 doors it will be too much of a opening space i need, as u know!! sorry for the lack info but i hope this has helped and thxs for your interest and help :D

Sarah

Sarah - I think sheet material for this one. 18mm (or 20mm) thick MDF cut to your 7" at the timber merchant; this will form top, bottom & 2 sides of your cupboard. Sheet of thinner MDF, say 9 or 12mm thick, cut to your 60" x 78" size, for the back. Shelves 18 (or 20)mm, same width as sides. Shelf supports at the front (you will need them to stop the shelves from sagging) also act as position to hinge 3rd door. These could be 'let into' (or notched into) the shelves so as to keep the front face of the cupboard flush. Doors from MDF - sizes depend on cupboard layout (you could make them different widths for effect).

How to put it together? Glue & screw or knock-down fittings (plastic corner blocks, etc. from B&Q, or better still, from www.woodfit.com) or a combination of the two. Woodfit have a huge range of fittings for just this type of project - well worth a visit to their site before you start.

You could gain extra support for the weight of the beast by fixing a stout battern to the wall at the base of the cupboard.

If you want to paint the cupboard remember to start with an 'MDF primer' first.

Sponsored Links
Hello Symptons,

Thxs so much for the info u have given me and i have printed out your advice and will be following it, that is excellent, as i said not really done anything like this before but cant wait to get going on it!! A massive THANKYOU again.

Sarah :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back