mechanic Need help building cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all. I am a mechanic by trade and am fairly competent with most metal working tasks. I have very limited carpentry experience though and will be having to build some built in cupboards for the mrs this week.

Basically I'm not too sure about selection of materials/fixing etc. I Have a space approx 3 metres wide, 600mm deep and 2.2m tall. I was considering building a frame work out of 3x2 cls and fixing this to floor and ceiling. There is a new stud wall behind i could fix to also.

I can add door another time but at the minute need to build about 3 large cupboards with lots of shelves in and probably a few shelves on the end which won't be a cupboard.

I'm sure I am capable of this, it's just the initial confidence to pick the right materials and get a good framework built. Then I will have to select a way of making it look pretty- door liners/ architrave maybe?
Sorry if this sounds ignorant but i don't have a clue.

Any advice would be brilliant.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I personally think your first step is to make a few decisions around the sort of finish you want. Do you want a timber finish, or a melanine? Do you want rails, baskets on runners? drawers?

Draw some sketches, get fixed in your mind what you want.

Also consider buying off the peg solutions from Ikea for example, timber and sheet materials are so expensive these days, Ikea might prove easier and cheaper.

are you planning of making the doors your self or buying them
if your buying then you must source the doors first

Sponsored Links
I expect in my mind it is quite over engineered and probably doesn't need as much wood as i am expecting.
I don't really mind how they look inside. Melamine does look better yes but is it cheap?
The idea of a plinth first seems a good idea. I was just thinking of buying 3 600 larder type unit s but they work out so expensive.
I think i would eventually make the door myself to suit the gaps.

So maybe I should build a bit of a framework out of cls then line with something like conti board on the inside, then add shelves?
These won't be wardrobes, they will be cupboards with lots of shelves as we are very limited on storage space.
I will take a look on the ikea site, but i don't think i have one locally.

I have a sketch done and am puzzling it out with regards to screwing and fixing but am concerned it will look more like a garage racking than a nice indoor set of cupboards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back