Advice needed on supporting wine rack shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of building a wine rack in between my kitchen cupboard and the wall. As the wall was really uneven I added a sheet of plasterboard and filled the gap between the plasterboard and the wall with Soudal expanding foam - this way the space for the shelves was all the same width so I could cut all the shelves for the wine rack evenly.

The shelves are 10.5 cm wide from cupboard to wall and are supported at the back of the rack but I am not sure how to support them at the front. There is no room for manoeuvre to get a screwdriver or a drill into the wall and ideally I don't want any fixings showing. I would also prefer to be able to remove the shelves easily if needed. The only solution I can think of is to drill some holes in the cupboard and thread some really long screws / fixings through the holes and whack these into the plasterboard / foam, then just rest the front of the shelves on top of the fixings. Is this viable and if so what sort of screw / fixings would I need ? Any advice much appreciated, thanks.

Here is a picture of a (too short) screw that hopefully explains what I am trying to do:

winerack-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
which way is up in your pic?

Is it wall mounted? not on the floor?

What are the dimensions?

Does it have sides? What is beside it?

Thanks for your reply John. Each shelf is 10.5cm wide x 38cm deep. In the image above you are looking at a close up straight on. Kitchen cupboard to the left (where I have made a hole with screw sticking through) and plasterboard to the right. Behind the plasterboard is 2 - 3 cm of expanding foam, then a brick wall. The shelves are supported at the rear by a piece of wood where I have screwed a few smaller pieces of wood for each shelf to rest on. It is not floor mounted. Maybe this image will give a better idea - it may look like the higher shelf is secure but it isn't - it is just wedged into the gap and is resting on a bit of the screw on the left hand side. The right hand side is currently not supported at all - hence my question on how to achieve this.
winerack-2.jpg

Last edited:
from inside the cupboard, drill a long hole that penetrates through the cupboard side, through gap and goes into the other side. You can then poke a screwdriver through the hole to fix a small block, or just use a poke-in shelf support (you can get them in clear plastic so very unobtrusive) and put a matching small block or support on the cabinet side. The shelf can then sit on it. I have some shelf supports where the top part is a sort of pyramid shape which a split in it, it prevents the shelf from tipping up in you accidentally press on the front.

I can't see the exact one here, but you get the idea. You just need a 6mm(?) hole on each side wall.
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?SearchText=shelf+support

Sponsored Links
That's good advice, thanks John - didn't occur to me about buying a long screwdriver / drill bit. A little fiddly perhaps but I will give it a go.

Piece of ply to fit over plasterboard , screw thru ply to each shelf and slide entire unit into gap , over short distance fixing from only one side will be enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back