What material to use as support for shelving system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am installing some shelves (ikea Algot 650mm wide) in a 665wide cupboard.

My flat is in a new build where walls are made of plasterboard with metal studs.

I started installing Super Toggle fixings on one side without problem ... But unfortunately when drilling the wall to place fixings on the other side I realised I am just above a metal stud.

Given the cupboard is just 10mm wider than the shelves, I cannot move slightly to the side to avoid the stud.

I thought I could circumvent this issue by fixing a panel of the size of the shelves (650x840) on the wall first and attach the shelving system to that panel.

But what material shall I use?

MDF: it seems a bit complex to use (pre dril, countersinking etc.) and because the shelves supports would have to be screwed close to the edge of the panel , I read that i could end up chipping the panel off.

Plywood: that seems to be my best option, would you agree? If I use an 18mm board would it be enough to carry the weight of the shelves (not going to bear too heavy loads... Towels, washing powder etc.)

Contiboard: what is it?

Chipboard: I have a feeling that a 18mm chipboard would be good to fix shelves on, what would you think?

Please let me know what you think I should use.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Yes there are the 84cm tall ones, I am placing them above our washer/drier in the laundry cupboard

Metal stud? can't you just fix to that? Pilot drill with a 3mm hss bit, then follow up with a drywall screw or self tapping screw.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

From some alteration we made in another part of the flat , I know for sure that the contractor has used plasterboard with a metal stud structure

However I can only presume it is a metal stud that I have hit whilst drilling as I can not see behind the wall.

The uprights don't have sufficient screw points for plasterboard you would be better to change for a product like sparring which has mounting holes every few inches, you can then just mount with plasterboard plugs spreading the load.
SO the problem is the choice of fitting not the wall type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back