Putting up shelves. Wood to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting up shelves in and an airing cupboard and a storage cupboard and was wondering what type of wood would I be best off using. I'm going to be buying a sheet of wood which will be cut up as single pieces (88.5cm x 59cm). Shelves won't be carrying anything heavy and will only be supported at either side by a batten fixed to the wall. When I phoned my local wood merchant they recommended MDF 18mm.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
If it's only supported at the ends, anything other than MDF for me.....it bends under it's own weight.
Ply ( with a lipping if you want) will fare much better.
John :)

Airing cupboard shelves are commonly constructed with 2x1 to allow ventilation , although how that fully works when it's piled with clothes I'm not sure.
I'd go with the ply suggestion but if you intend to go with mdf I'd beef it up to 25mm.

Sponsored Links
Birch or Radiata really, depending on what you want and would like to pay and how you want the finish to be (talking about the edges here which would be best lipped) and I'd still use 18mm.
You could also use pine flooring if you want, tongued and grooved together.....planing the tongue off would give you a nice edge.

Thanks John that gives me a better idea when I go there tomorrow :)

Maybe I should have been better prepared but I ended up having to do some cutouts to fit around pipework, more than I had originally thought.

Cutting plywood with a circular saw is not something I recommend or maybe the blade (standard) was not suitable but the cut was messy leaving small bits sticking out waiting to stick into an unsuspecting hand.

Think I'll give pine a go next time.
If it's only supported at the ends, anything other than MDF for me.....it bends under it's own weight.
Ply ( with a lipping if you want) will fare much better.

Whats a lipping?

the cut was messy leaving small bits sticking out

Set your circular saw blade depth to 1mm and run the saw backwards over the cut to make a scoring cut, then forwards at the proper depth and it will reduce tearout a lot. See the same trick here...

Yes, I know it's a table saw, just picture that process upside down!!

Gaz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back