larder shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So in my larder I want to have about 8 shelves each 20cm deep with around 20cm space in-between the shelves. How is the best way to secure them to a studded wall – considering the shelves are going to be full of tins?

I put some extra vertical wood struts in the the wall before it was plastered so there's quite a bit to pick up on but as there are quite a lot of pipes and cables in the wall I was going to screw and grip fill battens to the wall (horizontally) and sit the shelves on this batten but I'm not sure what brackets to use as the vertical part needs to not overlap the batten, which will be around 47mm x 47mm

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Foxhole, cheers but the first thing I looked at was racking but the brackets are to deep, those ones you show are 220mm + the racking depth so they would be 40mm to wide. I will also create some narrow shevles for herbs (100mm) so I need something that will work for all of the shelves. So I have no choice but to make something myself.

any ideas???

Shorter shelf brackets are available, you cut the shelf around the upright to keep things flush.The brackets can also be shortened with a hacksaw.

Foxhole, i've spent an age looking for shorter brackets online that work with the racking but I can't find any under around 200mm so i'm stuck for the really narrow shelves of 100mm.

I guess I can cut them down but as I will probably have 40 odd brackets I think this will take a massive amount of time especially as I have to file each of them afterward.

not sure what other options I have

make 2 units 740mm wide 12mm ply for the side 22mm planed timber for the shelves [or scaffold planks new or recycled]

lay the sides all together mark all the sides or in pairs to where the shelves are going
4x2"no10s through the sides into the shelves

make the bottom shelve above the skirting height to make it easier to skribe in
you wont need backs assuming there are walls each side
but backs will stop spills falling down the back ;)

ok, good idea, rather than doing shelves that go the length, make small book cases so the weight sits vertically on the floor, will defo run that by the wife. seems like a good back-up plan if I get stuck.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back