How to shelve 3 sides of an alcove without brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a deep alcove with all 3 sides about 1.2m long and I am going to shelve each wall. Using brackets this is easy but I would love to do it as fitted shelves.

If it were simply across the alcove then I could fit boards vertically on each side and use those little pegs, so the shelves are supported at each end virtually invisibly.
But with shelves on both walls coming into the corner, I can't see how I'd do anything like that as one wall will 'block' the other.

If I made that clear, is there an obvious way to approach this?

Sponsored Links
Something a bit like this:
corner-bookshelf2.jpg

At the ends you have vertical boards for the shelves to hang off. How are they supported at the corner?

Sponsored Links
If the shelves are supported on a battens under their full length, or alternatively are installed onto the back panel by fixing through (I.e. screwing through the backs into the shelves), that gives you a lot of the strength. The corner is butt jointed and the shelves are joined in the corner using Dominos, biscuits or loose tenons (all of which give you a bit of "shimmy room") or alternatively are held together with steel repair plates on the underside. Done properly there is no need for a vertical support in the back corner. As someone said, it ain't rocket science

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back