Help with building shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd like to build 4 shelves in the space between the dishwasher and wall as show in the photo below.

The shelves will then hold some wicker baskets.

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to things like this so would appreciate some advice on the best way of fixing the shelves. I could screw batons to the wall to hold the shelves but not sure what to do on the dishwasher side. Any ideas? Any advice on the best wood to use for the shelves.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i would make a unit to slide in as you dont have enough room to drill into the wall and cabinet
i would make it from white faced board or 12mm board

I would agree just make a free standing unit.

But if space is tight, and the weight in the baskets is not to heavy, you could screw battens to the wall side and back only, and then physically attach the shelf to the battens, so that the corner floats.

I'll have a think about building a freestanding unit. I'm not sure I'm confident enough to do this to the misses high standards!

I did try looking to buy a unit but couldn't find anything narrow enough (28cm). Any one have any recommendations on where I could purchase something like this?

I'm attracted to the idea of using batons at the side and back only as I don't think we'll be storing anything too heavy in there. What do you think the maximum recommended weight would be? We'd probably look to store some kitchen utensils in one and maybe some dried goods in the others.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'll have a think about building a freestanding unit. I'm not sure I'm confident enough to do this to the misses high standards!

I did try looking to buy a unit but couldn't find anything narrow enough (28cm). Any one have any recommendations on where I could purchase something like this?

I'm attracted to the idea of using batons at the side and back only as I don't think we'll be storing anything too heavy in there. What do you think the maximum recommended weight would be? We'd probably look to store some kitchen utensils in one and maybe some dried goods in the others.

Thanks

If the shelves are firmly attached to the battens, probably a fair bit of weight, like large bottles of drink for instance.

You could do 2x sets of battens above and below the shelf, so that it slots in and is securly held.

I would recomend using sketchup, it's **** easy to use (someone will say this is overkill, but if you are a newbe it won't hurt).

You can then measure out the dimensions and draw it in sketchup, that way you can check the size of everything and how you will connect it, and print of measurements.

with the gap only being 11" wide you will be hard pushed to get a hammer drill into the gap then your stretching into the back blocking out the light contorted at a funny angle :D :D
push in unit looks the least difficult option :D

as an aside my bosch blue 10.8v hammer drill is 190mm in length 260mm with a 5.5 masonery bit in and 265mm with a 6mm bit so just possible with the right tools but not a easy job and impossible for a fat burger like me :D :cool:

Why the difficulty in drilling?

He can just move the machine out whilst he does the work, or am I missing something obvious here?

Why the difficulty in drilling?

He can just move the machine out whilst he does the work, or am I missing something obvious here?
aaahhh my mistake thought it was a cupboard with a top drawer :D
had better clean the sawdust off my glasses more often ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back