Help building shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build some shelves to hold some stereo equipment (my vynil turntables). I am a complete novice :oops: and intend ordering cut-to-size wood and buying the necessary tools. The stereo equipment that will sit on the shelving is pretty heavy and the wall is a partition wall that is hollow (not sure what material the wall is made of?).

Please could someone advise me how best to attach the shelves to the wall - I suspect I will have to have some vertical supports holding the shelves up?? Is there a website article that might talk me through an appropriate technique?? :confused:

Sponsored Links
ChrisH said:
I want to build some shelves to hold some stereo equipment (my vynil turntables). I am a complete novice :oops: and intend ordering cut-to-size wood and buying the necessary tools. The stereo equipment that will sit on the shelving is pretty heavy and the wall is a partition wall that is hollow (not sure what material the wall is made of?).

Please could someone advise me how best to attach the shelves to the wall - I suspect I will have to have some vertical supports holding the shelves up?? Is there a website article that might talk me through an appropriate technique?? :confused:

Great idea, you can save a packet by making your own stuff, some inspiration for designs here.

Use 18mm mdf, couple of sheets should do it and will costs about £30. Get yourself a handsaw, sandpaper, small powered screwdriver or drill and some mdf screws. If you want to make it any funny shape or contour the edges then a jigsaw will be handy. Also some right angle metal brackets.

If there's an ikea near you, they sell table legs for about £5 each, you could fix a couple of these to the front of the shelf, and use a timber batten on the wall to sit the back of the shelf onto.

Otherwise you could make the whole frame out of 50x75mm cls. It's basically timber that's for building partition walls and is planed down so you won't get splinters or have to do too much sanding.

Make a rectangle frame for the shelf to sit on, give it 2 legs at the front and fix the back to the wall. (do a search here on plasterboard fixings)make sure to brace the legs with a diagonal piece going from bottom of the leg up to the top where the shelf meets the wall.

Once you've figured out the height that the frame will sit at, mark a horizontal line on the wall and poke a screwdriver through along it until you find the wall studs, then fix the framework to this. But mark the wall in the centre of the frame, so that when it's all built you won't see all the holes you made trying to find the stud.

You'll probably want to brace the legs at the front too. Fix a horizontal piece going between the two front legs, you could then put another batten on the wall of the same height as this and make a shelf for your vinyl :idea:

Another tip is to use two identical sized sheets of mdf for the main shelf that your decks sit on, and cut holes in one of them, that correspond with the feet on your decks, then fix these together before fixing onto the framework and your turntables will sit in the feet holes you've made for them. could also do the same with the feet on your mixer (or just cut-out the shape of your mixer base.)

Let us know how you get on, and we wanna see pics of the final article ;)

(Hope this made some sense, I'm in a hurry though)

I see you said turntables, are they 1200/1210s? If so you are going to need some very strong shelves to hold those up. They weigh a ton. I used a bookshlef from habitat turned on its side. It holds decks and 1200 records no problem, even when scratching.

Thanks Deluks. Really appreciate your response. I was considering getting an expert in but i think you have just inspired me!

my turntables are 1200's. and yes they are extremely heavy!

Sponsored Links
I looked at your thread and I thought maybe that will work for me :( ...I gave it a go, but the decks were jumping and I had all sorts of problems with it collapsing :oops: ..but em, I know it's a DIY site but... I thought I would bite the bullet and buy a unit from Deconomix... :LOL:

I was bloody amazed ;) ..it did the job perfectly..it's a clever design and I got this thing flat packed, and it was easy to put together.. :D

I'm chuffed to bits...

Thanks for the link Deluks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back