How can I make kitchen cabinet shelves sturdy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a new kitchen installed. The units were supplied with really short shelves. So the wall units are 300mm deep but the shelves supplied were only 200mm deep. Anyway, after speaking to the kitchen supplier they have made me some new shelves to 260mm.

We have replaced the shelves, however the new shelves are now really unsturdy! as the plastic bits that hold up the shelves are now positioned 60mm back from the front edge, so any pressure on the front of the shelves make it tilt.

What can we do to make the shelves sturdy?

The ideal thing would be to move the plastic bits closer to the front of the shelf, however there are no holes pre-done in the carcass and I would'nt know where to start or fancy attempting to put a new hole in the carcass.

Any suggestions as to what we can do?

Sponsored Links
put the old shelves back in :D
Or put an L bracket on top of the bigger shelves towards the back of the unit.

you could use these
http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?products_id=743&Name=Shelf+Support+-+Nail-in+-+White+-
but i would personally get a bit off 6/12mm ply/mdf with a 12x12 baton to clip on the front edge with a hole the same distance from the front to the first hole to locate on a hole then the further hole in the board drilled with a 5mm drill to locate the extra hole
a bit off tape on the drill 11mm plus board thickness from the end and stop when the tape is 2mm from the surface

Sponsored Links
you could put a small screw at the back of the shelf on top of where the support is underneath,so as to kind of trap shelf it won't tip foreward at front

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back