Putting up shelves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have some contiboard left over from some shelves that I put in the wardrobe, I want to use the left over to make some shelves, these will be approx 600mm wide x 250mm deep, the conti is 15mm thick, I am wondering how to support these, taking into account that we will be putting books on them and the shelves will be going between the wardrobe and the wall (as its a new build home the walls will be plasterboard and I don't really want to put a fixing on the wardrobe.I don't want anything big, so I don't want the steel brackets that you slot brackets into, I would rather not use 'London Bracket', these might be covered by books, so you might not see them, but would like to see other options.I could use a wooden battern along the back and RHS and stop a couple of inches short of the front? Or how about:-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/22233/Ironmongery/Brackets/Shelving-Brackets/Adj-Splash-Bracket-White

Say 2 on the back wall and then maybe another 2 on RHS wall (but nothing on left as that is where the wardrobe is.

I did look at the 'Pins' that you can get for 'Floating shelves', but that would mean drilling a hole in the thickness of the wood, and I can't drill straight, I would probably go through the wood. :D

Could I have your thoghts please..

Many Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Conti is much too thin and weak for 'floating shelf' and any weight on those brackets will snap the conti, they are intended for glass or rigid timber.You can use a 'cliff hanger' bracket that works in the same way as those brackets but supports the entire length.But the problem with any of these methods is plasterboard is not a very supportive medium.
Plasterboard walls dictate what you can fix and how you fix it, one of the limitation of new builds these days. :cry:

at that span you can front the shelve with 2x1" [20x44mm] and battons off at least 20mm around all edges
then you can support what you like on the shelve

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, some really good advise here :D

I went into B&Q last night and had a look, they had some ornate metal brackets, a bit like the things that you use to hang hanging baskets in the garden, They also had some Pine shelf supports like you might get in a kit, i.e. the shelf and 2 supports, there were reasionably nice looking and come in 2 different sizes, so I will probably go for them, but thanks for the help and advise, much appreciated..

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back