How to make hole in shelving unit look nice

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(BTW I am not a tradesperson - I have a boring office job with little practical DIY experience.)

I want to drill a couple of holes in some shelving units, but am at a bit of a loss as to how to make these holes look nice. Or at least make them not look bad.

I want to drill two holes to feed an electrical cable through (for LED strip lights at top of unit). I found these desk grommets on Amazon which might be ok for the horizontal (worktop?) surface.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HO2NLE-Gro...2HHN4KD/ref=pd_di_sccai_3/261-9441731-7571317

But is there something more suitable for the side vertical surface? Maybe something smaller? The shelves look great, and I don't want to mess them up with a bodge DIY hole.

Sponsored Links
Can't you drill straight into the void on the left, up from the cupboard below.

Sorry @Notch7 I should have stated that this is for an electrical cable to provide power to LED lights across the top of the shelf, and I would like to have a switch somewhere in that 'box'.

Actually I was originally thinking of an inline switch like this but maybe there is something else I could use that is nicer? The power will come from inside the cupboard and then go up a hidden gap between the shelves and the wall.

Something like these?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
  • Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Sponsored Links
Run cable as Notch suggested then remote control switch for lights, all hidden.
Or plug in lights using a wifi switch , again all hidden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back