Materials needed for shelving unit in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am just finishing building my kitchen and I have one thing left to do. I have a 250mm gap between the fridge and the wall and I want to put a narrow shelving unit in there. It will be 2m high and 250mm wide, and about 500mm deep. I was really hoping to find someone to just sell me one but I've had no luck, so I'm going to have to make one. The problem is, I have no idea where to buy the materials from.

I will be happy with cheap veneered chipboard, but where do I get it? I'll need two panels, 2m high by 500mm deep, as well as 7 or 8 shelves 250mm wide and 500mm deep.

I would also like to know how much extra it would cost to do it in real wood (I've got walnut worktops and it would be good to match that) - but again, where do I find suitable materials? I imagine it's the sort of thing I have to order rather than pick up locally - any suggestions? I've tried googling, but only found companies that supply in bulk.

Any advice welcome!

Sponsored Links
you wont get wood the size you want
you buy sheet material and cut it into components the size you need
if you use worktop for the shelve its relatively easy to use 15mm boards for the sides

by a sheet 1m wide and cut it down the middle and good edge to the front if you choose to make the shelves from it as well
otherwise a bit off worktop for the shelves and a single bit for the sides

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back