Building a tiled bay window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a tiled sill when my new downstairs upvc bay windows are fitted - to match the sills upstairs. These consist of two courses of cut down roof tiles, which doesn't look too difficult, but i have no idea how to construct the corners of the bay.

Could some kind person please tell me how to do this? Any general tips would also be appreciated as my bricklaying skills are very much DIY standard.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to mitre them. Also fix a batten to the wall to take the edge of the tiles before the mortar sets.

Thanks for the replies, but i was hoping for a bit more detail. I guessed some form of mitering would be required, but how to do it? I mean, if the tile course joints are staggered and i mitre the top course at the point where the bay turns, how do i handle the lower course at this point? Do i need to cut a tile with like a 'v' shape at each end or is there a better way? Sorry if these questions seem silly, but i've never done this job before.

Regarding the creasing tiles, i want to match the upstairs sills which are ordinary roof tiles, so unfortunately i guess that's not an option, but thanks for the tip.

Sponsored Links
Best way if you have a large board is to draw out the outline of the sill and the outline of the tiles. You can then make the cuts and set out the tiles and see how they work out.
Make the mitres on the top tiles and shape the tiles below as you said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back