Window Sill in Shower Enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to refit the bathroom in my house and have a particular query regarding my window. Essentially I have a full width window going full length of my bath. There is an existing shower over this bath and it appears that the water from the shower has been slowly eating through the surrounds of the UPVC window.

Do you all have any hints or tips for preparing the sill prior to the installation?

Initial thoughts:
- I will definitely tile the window sill.
- The surround of the sill will be properly sealed and checked on a regular basis.
- Would angling the sill downwards marginally help? I have been thinking of creating a slight slope into the bath to avoid water build up. Does anyone have top tips on how to do this?

Sponsored Links
- I will definitely tile the window sill.
IMO you should definitely at least think about alternatives, such as PVC or acrylic (although those can scratch easily), glass, granite (an offcut from a company that makes worktops). Even with a bit of a slope you'll get water sitting on it.

Or a nice piece of well oiled hardwood?

I have been thinking of creating a slight slope into the bath to avoid water build up. Does anyone have top tips on how to do this?
Good idea.

I would have thought that a small strip of wood at the back would do. Check on the tiling forum. Assuming the sides of the reveal are tiled, you'll either need to cut some at a slight angle, or do the sides first, which is not how it's usually done.

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM
IMO you should definitely at least think about alternatives, such as PVC or acrylic (although those can scratch easily), glass, granite (an offcut from a company that makes worktops). Even with a bit of a slope you'll get water sitting on it.

Now that is the sort of tip that I am looking for. Great thinking and I will definitely do it. We need to buy some granite for our surfaces in the bathroom anyway so and extra cut wont break the bank! Thanks a lot for the assistance! :D

Sponsored Links
Yeah, like the idea of a granite sill. Although it obviously needs to go aesthetically with your tiles (or probably the other way around).

You really need to get that in first, perhaps silicon around the edge, then tile over (above) it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back