Building a wall with concrete blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owner of my house knocked down a brick wall between the garage and a store room and fitted an RSJ. I now plan to replace this wall and put a door in it. The opening is about 3 m long and 2.4 m high. I know I will need wall starters/ties to attach the new wall to the old wall and a lintel above the door. One side of the wall will be the kitchen and the other side the garage so the wall will not be exposed to the elements. I will be covering both sides of the wall with plasterboard.

My questions are:

1. Can I build the wall using aerated bricks (e.g. http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/213632) or do I need to use medium density blocks (http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/213641)?

2. Is it OK for the wall to be just one of these blocks thick?

3. Best ratio of sand:cement for this type of wall

Sponsored Links
Are you taking the rsj out? if not, why not just use a stud wall? fire risk?

The RSJ is staying put, just building up to it. When we were buying the house the surveyor suggested blocks. We will be using the new room as a kitchen extension so I think blocks will be safer. I haven't planned the kitchen yet but it is likely we will want to hang some cupboards on this wall.

The garage is also unheated (could be draught proofed) and next to a busy road so I'm not sure if the stud wall would be cold/allow noise through.

To be honest, I hadn't really thought about a stud wall but it does look cheaper!

Sponsored Links
DPC under sole plate. 47x100 studwork.18mm t&g chipboard on utility side, (for fixings if you wish) covered with 12.5 plasterboard. 80mm Celotex between studs, 12.5 skimmed plasterboard garage side, will give you a U value of 0.28W/m2K, which is current U value.
You need to spend a lot of loot to soundproof, but the above will keep noise levels to acceptable standard.
Regards oldun

I'd use something like fibolite blocks. Dead cheap and easy to work with. Around 5:1 sand/cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back