Garden Retaining wall block type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Building a retaining wall on my driveway after cutting into a slope. Slope is no higher than 1m at its max. The wall will be double with blocks to hold soil in and bricks on facing side all tied in. So I know solid concrete blocks will manage to retain this slope. However could I get away with using lighter medium density blocks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could use Durisol rrecycled blocks if your local builders merchant can source them, once laid these are infilled with concrete and to provide the relevant strength required, just an option...pinenot :)

"Wall will be double with blocks and bricks"?, 9"?, 11"?, 18"? Have you made allowance for ground and surface water? The slope you cut into would be the natural slope for that soil, so now you have an abrupt face of soil that is trying to get back to that slope and will either turn the wall over or shear the mortar bond low down. Its not a trivial task.
Frank

you can use use concrete blocks that have 2 big holes cant remember there name.
you tie in rebar into the footings pocking up say your 1m height you set these out so that they line up with the holes say 1 rod per each other block then when your finished you just fill the holes with concrete job done then lay your face work ill get you a pic of what i mean

Sponsored Links
We have build about 4 of these walls in the past there really strong one was basement walls bearing a 100 tonne load on it
BUT BUT BUT BUT if you do use this type of wall please buy the rebar cover that covers the end of the steel rods looks like a bit plastic mushroom
bend over an get spiked your know it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back