Building a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me and shed some light on a problem i'm trying to tackle.
I have a small kitchen extension which is not adjoinging to next doors larger extension, leaving a small cavity between the two houses. 4nfortunately there is some exposed brickwork where the extension meets the original wall of the house. Im worried about rainwater penetrating the brickwork, therefore I would like to create a small brick wall to cover the gap between the two extions, install an iar brick and lead flash over the top.
Does this sound like a good idea? or am I being stupid?

Not sure what else I can do as the gap between the two walls is too small to get at the exposed brickwork to repair, any suggestins?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like next doors wall is providing adiquate protection for your exposed brickwork.
if your extention is built with a cavity wall then you have nothing to worry about.
if its a solid wall then my advice would be to only try fix it if a problem occurs ie you start to get damp. if you block it up at best you will create a lovely dry warm place for lots of things to go live in this winter At worst you could create a damp problem if water gets into the gap but cant get out again.

the strange thing is that the cupboard under the stairs is getting damp but the kitchen extension wall is damp free, one guy inspected it and said theres rising damp in the wall under the stairs but i though it could be condesnation, i dotn want to fork out 400 quid when its not needed, the wall in the hall which leads off the wall under the stairs shows no sign of damp and next door neighbours have had no signs of damp, i cant make it out

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I'd get some ventilation into the cupboard, clean up the existing damp patch and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back