Building an Extension - what order to do things

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After a bit of simple advice on what order things should be done for the following project:

Our house is a mid terrace. Out the back (spanning the whole width of the house) is an old lean-to; size app 4m wide by 2.5m deep

The plan is to replace this with a brick extension and knock through, opening up the kitchen. As the extension will be under 3m in depth, and also doesn't exceed volume and height restrictions - I believe it doesn't need planning permission.

What i am not sure of, is what order to do things:

Should I get plans drawn up for how I would like the extension to be, then get a builder in to quote based on the plans?

My worry is if I get the plans drawn up, but then find out I have not factored something in? eg correct sizes for padstone for RSJ? Would that mean i then need to get the plans drawn up again?

I am still considering putting the planning application in, just to tie up any loose ends. For the sake of £110 - I consider it worth doing as it would ease any potential problems if/when we move house.

So basically - what I'm after is a step by step guide in what order things should be done: what comes first chicken or the egg :confused:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

After a bit of simple advice on what order things should be done for the following project:

Our house is a mid terrace. Out the back (spanning the whole width of the house) is an old lean-to; size app 4m wide by 2.5m deep

The plan is to replace this with a brick extension and knock through, opening up the kitchen. As the extension will be under 3m in depth, and also doesn't exceed volume and height restrictions - I believe it doesn't need planning permission.

What i am not sure of, is what order to do things:

Should I get plans drawn up for how I would like the extension to be, then get a builder in to quote based on the plans?

My worry is if I get the plans drawn up, but then find out I have not factored something in? eg correct sizes for padstone for RSJ? Would that mean i then need to get the plans drawn up again?

I am still considering putting the planning application in, just to tie up any loose ends. For the sake of £110 - I consider it worth doing as it would ease any potential problems if/when we move house.

So basically - what I'm after is a step by step guide in what order things should be done: what comes first chicken or the egg :confused:

Cheers

Well, you'll need Building Control (which is not the same as Planning Permission), for which you'll either need to put in a notice, or submit full plans. In any case the Building Control officer may want to see a structural engineer's calculations for RSJ and padstones.

You're right about 3m being permitted development, not needing Planning permission. Another consideration is that the extension must not cover more than 50% of the land around the original house.

Possibly I'd talk to a structural engineer first, so you know what structural elements need to be incorporated in any design that you draw up. Or a good builder, if you know one.

Cheers
Richard

As it will be a habitable building you'll need to comply with current Building Regs.
If you're not pushed for time, and it sounds like you're not, it's probably easiest to submit any drawings and specification for approval before you start. Building Inspector will either approve or query your submission and state the interval/stages at which he'll want to inspect.
You or your builder can arrange for inspections, but it's usually easiest for your builder to arrange.

So if you're going down the drawings route, get the drawings done first, and approved, then invite quotes from builders. If you're worried about the budget, state your budget to whoever will do your drawings for you.

It sounds like you'll need Structural Engineer's calculations also.

Edit; Must learn to type quicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back