Plans for a house extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plans for a house extension

I am planning a house extension, what is the first step to this

Who do you talk to about getting plans drawn up etc?

Sponsored Links
First step is to talk to your Local Council planning authority with a brief idea & size of what you want build to see if you need planning permission or not &, if you do, weather the application is likely to succeed?

Drawings for a planning application need only be very basic & anyone reasonably competent with a pencil & a scale rule can prepare these; you will usually find one or more advertising planning application services in your local paper but get a firm quote for the work. If you decide to DIY, your local planning dept. can advise exactly what you need to provide.

Full building spec. drawings require more detailed knowledge & you will need either a competent draughtsman (with relevant building experience) or an architectural technician; many “moonlight” providing such services outside their day job. Some small builders/developers work regularly with architectural practices & will be quiet happy to include this service for an extra fee once you have planning permission or may be prepared to cover that as well. Employing a full blown architect for what is a relatively small project is, IMO, unnecessary & expensive; the practice technicians will do all of the work anyway!

Sponsored Links
Was just up the road in Palgrave myself only yesterday, doing a roof inspection. Tasty lady of the house too and a sunny day, ahh, life can be good some times... :)

Was just up the road in Palgrave myself only yesterday, doing a roof inspection. Tasty lady of the house too and a sunny day, ahh, life can be good some times... :)
Palgrave is nice, my neighbours daughter lives there. I'm an “Essex” incomer of nearly 4 years now but feel like I've been here all my life. :D Had both family & friends here for years & always wanted to live here; only place I would swap it for now is the Costa Brava where we also have family & the way things are going in the UK, that may not be far off! ;) Whereabouts are you then?

Lingwood, just east of Norwich, on t'way to Yarmo, but far enough away from it not be tainted by association...!

Spain - go if you have the chance. I worked here but lived there 10 years or so ago, built myself a place up a mountain overlooking the med, kids went to an international school, we all loved it - only I hadn't reckoned on the then other half deciding that discovering a taste for munching on rugs was more her style :eek:.

Do you think we'll get told off for hijacking the thread?!

Well it certainly makes you re-examine your bedroom technique, for sure! However, as a chat up line it is a pretty god one: "What happened in your last relationship?" "Oh, I got dumped for a d-yke*." "No! Really? Oh you poor, poor man, you need mothering, come here and get jiggy" 8 times that one worked in my favour:):):)

Mercifully, the current bed-mate of some years' standing shows no prediliction for the laydees - that said, would be a fantasy come true, as long as I could join in this time, of course - and she didn't run off with her either ;)

*apologies for the hyphenation, damn auto-censor is being uber-sensitive, yet again

Is this the geography forum?

Anyone know if Cusco in Peru is easier to get to from the north or from the path from Bolivia in the east at this time of year?

Thanks

Is this the geography forum?

Anyone know if Cusco in Peru is easier to get to from the north or from the path from Bolivia in the east at this time of year?

Thanks

mutley.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back