Building an internal supporting wall on top of oversite concrete???

I'm adding this for anyone interested in doing this. I spoke to the building regs inspector today, he said that it is quite possible to bed a concrete lintel onto the oversite concrete then block up with 7Nm concrete blocks on top. My structural engineer needs to supply calcs to prove load bearing capability and it would be necessary to drill a hole to determine thickness of concrete where lintel is to go................thick concrete=good to go!!!!
Christ on a bike, it'd be easier to dig hole and get on with it, surely?

Sponsored Links
Nose............breathe, relax...........that frustration can kill a man!.........hard work is great,............especially when I can avoid it!!!
So, I drilled an exploratory hole and after 2" shot straight into clay!!............so there we have it, no lintel, just digging to be done!
Doggit............the beam will be about 11ft long and one end will sit directly above the door (running parallel on top of it) which needs the foundation beneath it in order that it can be bricked up so the end of the beam can sit on it......eerrrrr, what's a foot trench?

Typo error - foot deep trench. If you put say a 6ft steel beam above the doorway to support the new 11ft beam going across the room, then you only need a shallow trench for the footings to support the wall blocking up the doorway. But it seems odd that you've only got 2" under the doorway - you'd have expected the foundations to run all the way under the wall. It might be sensible to check the depth of foundations at either end of the door opening under the walls. I think the 11ft beam will be perpendicular to the doorway though, not parallel with it

Result!...........I've dug out the onsite, then dug down another 9" of clay then hey presto I've hit concrete (the continuous foundation running from the front to the back of the house that holds up the internal hall and kitchen walls. Hopefully I can brick up straight on top of that.

Dog...........the 11ft beam will run in the same direction as the old door frame about 18" above it, nothing will be going at 90 degrees to the door frame (except the existing joists for the bedroom above).

Sponsored Links
I think I can see where you're you're coming from now, but if there was an old doorway, and you're going in the same direction as that wall, can't you use a longer beam, and go into the wall on the other side of the old doorway

Sadly dog, next to that doorway is another door into the front reception room ( all a bit weak). My nice BCO has come round, looked 'in my hole' n said build on top of that. So ain't life grand!, I was amazed that after being left for 24hrs the hole had already filled with half inch of water, thank god I didn't have to dig down 3 foot!

Interesting problem you've got there - did the BCO see the water - as you've either got a leak somewhere, a very high water table, or a stream running under the house. If you've got to drop concrete in to that hole, you'll need to protect it from the water, so that it goes off properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back