Building an octagonal frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the throws of getting a stained glass window installed in our hallway. The window is octagonal and the hole is already in the wall from the previous owners window. I am looking to change the previous framework around the window as it does not suit our window style. I have purchased a Mitre saw (draper 88133) to undertake the project. Can anyone pass on any advice & tips as how best to cut the pieces of wood to size.

Regards
elfie-gow

Sponsored Links
To cut an octagonal frame, I would do the following:-

1) Determine what length the outer edge of the octagon needs to be, this need only be approximate at this stage.

2) Cut your lengths to a stop 50 m/m bigger than you have estimated. Cut them square at this stage. Cut a GOOD FEW spares. make sure they are ALL EXACTLY the same length.

3) Now set your saw at 22.5 degrees, cut a bit of scrap and check the angle with a protractor/combination square. Adjust if needs be. If your angle is not accurate you will end up with gaps in your frame.

4) Once you are happy with the 22.5 degree angle, set your stop to cut approximately 25.0 m/m off each end.

5) Check the inner length to your glass and adjust your stop as necessary, remember if you are 10 m/m big move your stop out by 5 m/m as you are cutting both ends.

6)keep adjusting, using a new piece each time, until you are happy with the length...( remember you cut a good few spares ).

7)Now cut all 8 length's......Job done.

Many thanks for the info & tips. Always sounds easy but.....

I'll let you know how i get on with the project once its finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back