Replacing window glass in wooden frames ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I know zilch about windows and window frames so maybe you can help me out ?
We moved into our bungalow last year and took the house 'as seen' with obvious jobs needed doing. One job was doing something about the windows.
Basically they are wooden framed, the frames are in not too bad condition, but the double glazing has, I am to understand, 'blown'. There is moisture in between the 2 plates of glass, a right mess !
My wife seems to recall the previous owner saying that they had used the wrong sealer on the windows, hence the mess. Does this sound plausible ? Can using the wrong sealer have caused this condensation/moisture in between the glass ?
I want to replace the glass and I don't want to make the same mistake as the previous owners.
many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely , one cause can be failing to put in the spacers under each panel which prevent it sitting in water should rain get under it and allows water to drain out thru drain holes [check these are clear]

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks.
So the problem could be the panes are absorbing moisture through the bottom because of a lack of spacers ?
The reference to the wooden frames, are you implying that because they are wooden frames that they wouldn't have spacers ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back