Building around radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm in the process of buying a victorian house with a converted loft. The loft has large radiators taking up space in alcoves that are otherwise perfect for built-in furniture. Would it be a terrible idea to build furniture in front of it, with vents to either side that give access to the radiator? I am pretty good with woodworking/carpentry but not plumbing so I don't fancy moving them, and the other walls would all be equally annoying for a large radiator.

Am I right in thinking that the main risk is that the furniture acts as a large heatsink and slows the heating of the room?

Sponsored Links
1. Radiators are very badly named. They are really convection heaters. 85% to 90% of their heat is emitted as heated, convected, air, not as radiant heat.
2. This heated air rises to the ceiling, spreads along the ceiling, then descends as it cools and hits the far wall.
3. If you build furniture in front of it, the air will not circulate, at least not until it has heated the cupboard front.
4. I would expect you to lose at least 50% of the heat output from the radiators by building furniture in front of them, even with side "vents", unless you can arrange for the rising air to be directed up and out of the top of these vents.
5. You would need access to adjust valves, and perhaps to bleed the radiator occasionally, particularly if they are at the top of the building and thus more susceptible to accumulating air.
6. You might consider replacing them with vertical radiators. A fairly expensive solution, which won't give you 100% of what you want, but will, with correctly selected items, at least heat the space.

1. Radiators are very badly named. They are really convection heaters. 85% to 90% of their heat is emitted as heated, convected, air, not as radiant heat.
2. This heated air rises to the ceiling, spreads along the ceiling, then descends as it cools and hits the far wall.
3. If you build furniture in front of it, the air will not circulate, at least not until it has heated the cupboard front.
4. I would expect you to lose at least 50% of the heat output from the radiators by building furniture in front of them, even with side "vents", unless you can arrange for the rising air to be directed up and out of the top of these vents.
5. You would need access to adjust valves, and perhaps to bleed the radiator occasionally, particularly if they are at the top of the building and thus more susceptible to accumulating air.
6. You might consider replacing them with vertical radiators. A fairly expensive solution, which won't give you 100% of what you want, but will, with correctly selected items, at least heat the space.

thanks, that all makes sense. I guess that’s why they’re usually installed below windows to help the convection get started? If that’s the case I guess airflow out the top would be more important than the sides and then yeah designing that furniture would be a problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back