building compliance certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello and help.
im selling my house. my solicitor says i need a biulding compliance certifcate for the boiler which was installed last year.i had a gas safety cert done but thats no good!! the chap who installed it didnt give me a certificate and icant trace him. how can i get a building compliance cert for the gas now? help please.asked other firms and they cant help!

Sponsored Links
basically you are stuffed! the installer is the only person able to notify his work to building control
was he actually a REGISTERED gas engineer or just a cowboy?
was he in fact even qualified?

Kevin is right, your installer is the only one who can notify his own work, to the building inspector.

I'd suggest contacting your local building inspector, at your council and asking for advice, they may be able to inspect & issue a certificate.

But can the buyer concede that you don't have it and carry on with the purchase irrespective of that? Is it impossible to legally complete the sale, or is it just your solicitor making sure everything is "in order" so that they are doing their job properly?

Sponsored Links
But can the buyer concede that you don't have it and carry on with the purchase irrespective of that? Is it impossible to legally complete the sale, or is it just your solicitor making sure everything is "in order" so that they are doing their job properly?
Fine if they have the cash, they can do what they like. But I can’t image a scenario where a mortgage/finance company would advance a loan with the knowledge of what is effectively an illegal gas installation. Lenders will probably refuse an advance merely where unauothorised building work is in breach or BR’s, let alone an illegal gas installation.

Edited to make it possibly more clear ;)

Aren't CORGI/Gas Safe involved in this too?

I thought the installer notifies 'Gas Safe' and Gas Safe notifies the Building Regs/Inspector/Local Authority.

I've only got a Gas Safe 'Building Regs Compliance Certificate' for my new boiler. Not seen anything else from Building Regs though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back