building control confusion??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
has any one dealt with building control, especially in birmingham, regarding electrical work, and what exactly they require, they just keep confusing me , one time they said the installer had to have bs7671 and certify to that level and subit an application which would cost £70 another time they said you have to be registered with one of the bodies, im confused!, can anyone give a first hand experience with them?

Sponsored Links
The way I understand it, and am doing it, is My uncle is a fully qualified sparky, but doesn't have the NICEIC or similar certificate, so we have notified Building Control (and paid a fee) once the electrical work is complete, an NICEIC certified electrician will inspect the work (and charge a fee) and issue the BS7671 certificate.

We then need to contact BC again and they send an inspector out.

We live in Southport (Sefton Council) and most of this info was on there website - I've also chatted to them and they are helpful and inspections can happen same or next day.

Hope this helps or even makes sense!

geezer said:
hi
has any one dealt with building control, especially in birmingham, regarding electrical work, and what exactly they require, they just keep confusing me , one time they said the installer had to have bs7671
Not quite sure how you can have BS7671, its a standard, not a qualification, I'm guessing they mean the City+Guilds 2381 qualification on them, which is a piece of **** to get AFAIK

and certify to that level and subit an application which would cost £70
Pretty much the same as here (Lincoln), except its £75+vat here, and they don't insisit you have 2381

another time they said you have to be registered with one of the bodies, im confused!,
they have no right to flately refuse to accept your application like that

can anyone give a first hand experience with them?
Every area is different, but its possible I might have an experience with them in the near future, not sure yet

Bangers said:
The way I understand it, and am doing it, is My uncle is a fully qualified sparky, but doesn't have the NICEIC or similar certificate, so we have notified Building Control (and paid a fee) once the electrical work is complete, an NICEIC certified electrician will inspect the work (and charge a fee) and issue the BS7671 certificate.

We then need to contact BC again and they send an inspector out.

We live in Southport (Sefton Council) and most of this info was on there website - I've also chatted to them and they are helpful and inspections can happen same or next day.

Hope this helps or even makes sense!

i see , yes it does make sense, its what i was told in bham but today they just went and confused the whole thing. so you get the niceic guy in to do the certificate, is it because you cant do the inspection and testing your self or its better having a nic certificate? and also how many visits did they make to your jobs?

here in bham those extra fees of the building notice and the nic guy would kill the job quote, the customer would be out the door and into the cowboys arms, they still dont get it yet about part p, insisting on they dont want certificates!! what can you do eh!

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
geezer said:
hi
has any one dealt with building control, especially in birmingham, regarding electrical work, and what exactly they require, they just keep confusing me , one time they said the installer had to have bs7671
Not quite sure how you can have BS7671, its a standard, not a qualification, I'm guessing they mean the City+Guilds 2381 qualification on them, which is a piece of p**s to get AFAIK

yes thats what i meant i was just fumed at the bc and rushed out the message!

geezer said:
one time they said the installer had to have bs7671 and certify to that level and subit an application which would cost £70
They are not allowed to insist on that.

another time they said you have to be registered with one of the bodies,

Bangers said:

[quote="geezer
i see , yes it does make sense, its what i was told in bham but today they just went and confused the whole thing. so you get the niceic guy in to do the certificate, is it because you cant do the inspection and testing your self or its better having a nic certificate? and also how many visits did they make to your jobs?

here in bham those extra fees of the building notice and the nic guy would kill the job quote, the customer would be out the door and into the cowboys arms, they still dont get it yet about part p, insisting on they dont want certificates!! what can you do eh![/quote]

There was a new regulation brought in (Jan 05 I think) to prevent joe bloggs doing electrical work in his home and potentially causing problems, so by law I think an certificate is required.

Cost us about £120 for Builing regs - charges hear are dependant on value of work and ours including dropping and rebuilding cable-end (reason for regs was increased size of window and added new lintel). They've only been out once so far to check lintel (I called them day prior and said would be ready for inspection lunchtime, no problems, they were their at 12pm).

Once we have certificate they'll come out again!

I can't say (touch wood) have had any problems in Southport (also having loft built and regs inspectors out for that) and if I have any queries, they happily answer via phone.

Geezer if it helps send me your email addy and will download guidelines they sent to me?

Bangers said:
Geezer if it helps send me your email addy and will download guidelines they sent to me?

thanks for that but i reckon southport will be different from birmingham, birmingham is a crazy place!!

Bangers said:
geezer said:

here in bham those extra fees of the building notice and the nic guy would kill the job quote, the customer would be out the door and into the cowboys arms, they still dont get it yet about part p, insisting on they dont want certificates!! what can you do eh!

There was a new regulation brought in (Jan 05 I think) to prevent joe bloggs doing electrical work in his home and potentially causing problems, so by law I think an certificate is required.
This thread is rapidly becoming a case of the blind leading the blind...

ban-all-sheds said:
Bangers said:
geezer said:

This thread is rapidly becoming a case of the blind leading the blind...

Where did I leave my dog???? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back