Building control for new shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this needed buildingcontrol or a plumber registered under the competent persons scheme, but I've had 2 plumbers over for quotes andthey say that tey've never had anyone bother with getting building conrol involved. I need to sell the flat next Easter, so will probably have to declare this new shower room on the changes made list when selling and am worried a surveyor may ask for the building control paperwork.

Do I need building control approval and if I don't get it, where may I get caught out selling?

Sponsored Links
Hi sarah, it all all depends on your definition of "new".

There is no competent persons scheme for plumbers to self certify "plumbing works" such as those for electrical and glazing works (e.g. NICEIC et al/ FENSA) so any works requiring Building Control notification will mean getting your Local Authority Building Control to inspect regardless of the contractor you use.

If this shower room has never been a shower room and you are making a new connection to the soil stack or a new connection to the drains then you should be submitting an application to Building Control. That said, if you have complete faith in your chosen tradesmen, it would not be unheard of or unreasonable in these situations to allow experienced, competent contractors to just get on with the job in hand..... ;)

EDIT: If you are selling in the near future go LABC route and ensure you get a completion cert :idea:

Good advice from Hotrod.
Don’t just believe what some “tradesmen” may tell you; it's sad but many are blissfully ignorant of what’s actually required in terms of compliance with BR's & some dont even care, they just want as little hassle as possible & your cash! You are right to be concerned about creating possible problems when you come to sell, unauthorised building work could effectively halt any sale.

As a minimum, Electrical Regs. will come into play if your installing a bath or shower as it then becomes a special location; you will also need a fan. This work in itself doesn’t need to involve Building Control providing they are registered to carry out the work & issue the associated paperwork but if you’re making new drain connection or installing a w/c then Building Regs. apply in several other areas & an LABC inspection will probably be required & sometimes even testing. Contact your LABC & tell them exactly what you are proposing & they will tell you how you need to proceed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back