Building Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had BC out today to inspect a 2 story extension we've had built, builder did the shell and we did the internal ourselves, hes noted 3 items which we need to address, 2 of which I'm curious about.

We have smoke detectors in the garage (attached), utility room, landing, new bedroom and loft, he wants an additional smoke detector in the lounge, essentially at the bottom of the existing stairs (stairs open into the lounge and there is no wall separating them, I explained that the stairs would act as a chimney and the smoke detector in the landing would activate first as smoke rises, seems to be a tick box exercise and there's no reasoning with them?

Secondly, they want an extractor fan in the utility room, is a window not sufficient for utility rooms?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Smoke could linger in the lounge before going up the stairs, losing valuable early warning. Yes, utilities require mechanical extract or connection to a whole house ventilation system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back