Building Decking down a concrete slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my front garden, I have a concrete slope with which there is not much that I can do without a lot of expense to remove it. Therefore, to 'pretty it up' I intend to build some decking steps down the slope and panel off the exposed side.

My plan is to use 2-4 (depth) decking strips per step, but my query is how to achieve the structural support for the steps?

Should I first waterproof sheet the concrete slope, then cut two identical pieces of timber (see image below) and secure these to the concrete? Or is there a better way?

String.jpg

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use decking for that, it gets slippy over time and particularly when wet. Can you not tamac over the slope or something, maybe more concrete to tidy up the damage?

I wouldn't use decking for that, it gets slippy over time and particularly when wet. Can you not tamac over the slope or something, maybe more concrete to tidy up the damage?

I really don't like the look of the concrete nor the slope itself as it is dangerous, particularly when it snows.

Lots of people have decking steps and so long as they're regularly cleaned/pressure-hosed, they're not too slippy. I could also apply a non-stick surface to them.

Fair enough, concrete is waterproof anyway, what will the sheet be for?

Sponsored Links

Concrete can absorb water and so I would want to avoid penetration of water from concrete to the wooden supports.

Concrete can absorb water and so I would want to avoid penetration of water from concrete to the wooden supports.

That's a bit of a leap... I best go and put plastic tarpaulin over my garage floor immediately :D

While it's technically true that concrete can absorb water, not to the extent that it's going to get to wooden supports underneath. Is it possible that water could get to the supports by another means? From underneath, round the sides, etc?

Ok - so back to the core structure, how would you support the decking on this slope? Is my idea feasible or is there a better route?

I think your supports would work but how wide is the slope? It looks too wide for decking boards to span and you may need a similar support in the centre.
You may need to fix brackets to the sides and bolt these to the concrete to stop it all sliding.

Hire a kango or breaker and get that concrete out pal, it will be a lot of fannying around to put decked steps on that...you could use the side of the slope for support but you're probably going to need support in the centre and you would probably have to bolt the supports the other side to the wall. Hire the breaker for a day and remove it yourself. BAg up + take to tip or ring one of the 'Mr Clear It' type people who remove crap for a minimal fee. Much easier i think.

Hire a kango or breaker and get that concrete out pal, it will be a lot of fannying around to put decked steps on that...you could use the side of the slope for support but you're probably going to need support in the centre and you would probably have to bolt the supports the other side to the wall. Hire the breaker for a day and remove it yourself. BAg up + take to tip or ring one of the 'Mr Clear It' type people who remove crap for a minimal fee. Much easier i think.

Yeah, I totally accept what you're saying, its going to be a pain and your suggestion might be the way that I have to go, for now I've put this onto the backburner, I'll revisit another day :)

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll update this thread in the next year or so with how I went forward in the end.

There's no point making a meal out of it. A decent breaker will have that ramp reduced to rubble in about 30 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back