Building Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

New to this forum but have been helped via a friend with boiler problem. Having my plans approved I am about to embark on building my extension. I am not a builder but very keen DIY person and am determined to build my own extension. I will use tradesmen as and when I need. Most of the work I am going to do myself.

Having spoken to local building regulations inspector he was helpful in explaining what the requirements are. I am applying for building regs. What I would like help with is how do I set about in starting the work. How do I price the materials and services. Help will be very much appreciated.

Basecoat

Sponsored Links
GO TO A BUILDING MERCHANTS AND FIND WOT YOUR ARE LOOKING FOR AFTER U FOIND JUST HAVE A LITTLE RING AROUND TO CHECK PRICES AND GET THE BEST DEAL!!! NOW IT DEPPENDS ON WOT SORT OF THING YOUR HAVING IN YOUR ADD ON TO HOW YOU SHOULD DO IT!!! BUT IF EVER IN DOUBT SPEAK TO SOME ONE IN THE TRADE JUST TO MAKE SURE BECAUSE OTHER WISE IT COULD GET COSTLY IF YOU HAVE TO DO THINGS TWICE!![/b]

baughan said:
GO TO A BUILDING MERCHANTS AND FIND WOT YOUR ARE LOOKING FOR AFTER U FOIND JUST HAVE A LITTLE RING AROUND TO CHECK PRICES AND GET THE BEST DEAL!!! NOW IT DEPPENDS ON WOT SORT OF THING YOUR HAVING IN YOUR ADD ON TO HOW YOU SHOULD DO IT!!! BUT IF EVER IN DOUBT SPEAK TO SOME ONE IN THE TRADE JUST TO MAKE SURE BECAUSE OTHER WISE IT COULD GET COSTLY IF YOU HAVE TO DO THINGS TWICE!![/b]

Thank you. I have something to start with.

Depending on size of extension you may need to apply for planning approval.

baughan; cap letters are considered shouting, check forum rules

Sponsored Links
I presume you have had planning approval?
If you are in the process of having bldg regs approval ensure your dwg's are as detailed as poss. That will then make your DIY build alot more straight forward.

As u say, it sounds like you have got a friendly BC inspector - cont to use him + they tend to be v.helpful

peca27 said:
I presume you have had planning approval?
If you are in the process of having bldg regs approval ensure your dwg's are as detailed as poss. That will then make your DIY build alot more straight forward.

As u say, it sounds like you have got a friendly BC inspector - cont to use him + they tend to be v.helpful

hi "peca"

Your assumption is correct. I have building approval and minor mods approval as well. You have raised a very good point for me. My approval drawings are detailed and I was assuming same drawings will do for building regs.

Could you clarify for me how detailed should the drawing be for building regs. I did some costing today and had planned to submit my drawings for building regs on Tuesday. I am glad you have brought this up. Your and anybody else who helps me will be grately appreciated.

Basecoat,

I am in the process of finishing my small extension (single storey).. I have done ALL the work myself up to now and i do mean ALL.. i have had a lot of help from members of this site though... I had the architect submit the plans for planning and Building control so i cant help you there.

He did however submit only one set. I have them on line if you would like to view them and get a few ideas ? if you do, let me know... Good luck with the build.. It took me 4 weeks from digging out to finishing all the brick work... then 14 weeks to get enough information and energy to construct a traditional roof with 3 hips and 1 valley all hand cut timbers NO pre made trusses ...

Be prepared for the un expected.. i have to say we had a few problems with having to repair and lay new drains and a new water main to the house cause our digger driver got carried away, but after that it was a doddle... It does help enormously if you have a nice BCO guy... Mine is very helpful, and doesn't mind coming round to explain if i am unsure. had him up the ladders once helping with the Fascia boards :p

Good luck mate and if i can help, just shout... By the way.. We got quoted 26k for our extension... up to now i have spent £6.5 and all i have left is to put a window in and dryline the walls...

Regards,

Mick.

Mick Leek said:
Basecoat,

I am in the process of finishing my small extension (single storey).. I have done ALL the work myself up to now and i do mean ALL.. i have had a lot of help from members of this site though... I had the architect submit the plans for planning and Building control so i cant help you there.

He did however submit only one set. I have them on line if you would like to view them and get a few ideas ? if you do, let me know... Good luck with the build.. It took me 4 weeks from digging out to finishing all the brick work... then 14 weeks to get enough information and energy to construct a traditional roof with 3 hips and 1 valley all hand cut timbers NO pre made trusses ...

Be prepared for the un expected.. i have to say we had a few problems with having to repair and lay new drains and a new water main to the house cause our digger driver got carried away, but after that it was a doddle... It does help enormously if you have a nice BCO guy... Mine is very helpful, and doesn't mind coming round to explain if i am unsure. had him up the ladders once helping with the Fascia boards :p

Good luck mate and if i can help, just shout... By the way.. We got quoted 26k for our extension... up to now i have spent £6.5 and all i have left is to put a window in and dryline the walls...

Regards,

Mick.

Hi "Mick Leek"

Am I pleased to read your thread. I drew my own plans and got a architect to check them and print them. The council knocked me back by a meter but the rest passed. Then I opted for slight mods under the minor mods that too passed. Next is building regs. I am going to submit plans this week. My council allows work to proceed almost immediately once the building regs plans fee is paid in full.

My extension is two room double story with extended dining room. The quotes from builders came in at £40k and £23k. I asked for part build i.e just the skeleton that would have cost me £21k. One guy quoted me £5.5k for just the walls. Materials and scaffolding my own.

Having looked around I found that many DIYERS are going for self build. Main reasons I found were Cost and shabby builders. Armed with this knowledge taking the challenge on anticipating self build. I reckon I can complete the whole project in under £12k +/- 2k.

This cost to include solar water heating system. A friend of mine has built his extension so help there as well. He suggested construct my own trusses. He did. I anticipate starting work in the next couple of weeks.

I would appreciate help from you. Can I email you.

Ontario Plumber

Yeah sure mate no problem, if you send me a PM i will forward my e mail address to you..

Mick.

Mick Leek said:
Ontario Plumber

Yeah sure mate no problem, if you send me a PM i will forward my e mail address to you..

Mick.

Hi "Mick Leek"

How do I send you PM.

urrmmm ? duno I thought there would be a PM tab like most forums...

Ok any mods on here can help us out here ?

Mick Leek said:
urrmmm ? duno I thought there would be a PM tab like most forums...

Ok any mods on here can help us out here ?

Hi "Mick Leek"

Last year I built a retainer wall 4meters by 1.5 meters. It is slightly out in vertical. Other than that it looks ok.

I am applying for building regs tomorrow. My extension is double story 3meter x 4 meters with an extended dining room. Two areas are a concern to me digging foundations and filling them with concrete.

For starter a I have a concrete slab of 3.3 meters x 400mm plus concreted area of 2meter x 2.5 x 750mm to get rid of before I begin to dig the trench.

Also my project is of two parts. Extension and garage. Mick is there a time limit by building regs to complete your project. I anticipate complete build of extension first and then tackle garage.

My worry is getting walls level and plumb

Basecoat,

Only time limit is the start date. You have to start within a certain period, Think it something silly like 2 or even 3 years, Once you have started you can take as long as you want...

Get a digger to dig out if you have access... I would NOT recomend hand digging unless you have a few volunteers.

Mot sure what you mean about " walls were out on the vertical ? you mean they didnt go straight up ?

Get yourself a GOOD spirit level. I bought a Stabila 1 meter girder level £90.00 but well worth it... you will never break it or knock it out of plumb..

Get yourself some corner block brick line holders. These will ensure your walls are straight and you courses are level.

Also consider using trench blocks, MUCH MUCH easier to come out of the ground with these and they build inner and outter wall at same time.

Have LOTS of tricks i learnt while doing mine that i will gladly tell you and i promise they will help.

here is a plan of what i built if you are interested... Also doing the conservatory at the moment..

http://www.phenomenalfireworks.co.uk/images/newroof2.pdf

my build was approx 3.6 meters by about 8 ish Has a VERY compley roof with 3 hips and 1 valley.... that was fun

Mick.

Mick Leek said:
Basecoat,

Only time limit is the start date. You have to start within a certain period, Think it something silly like 2 or even 3 years, Once you have started you can take as long as you want...

Get a digger to dig out if you have access... I would NOT recomend hand digging unless you have a few volunteers.

Mot sure what you mean about " walls were out on the vertical ? you mean they didnt go straight up ?

Get yourself a GOOD spirit level. I bought a Stabila 1 meter girder level £90.00 but well worth it... you will never break it or knock it out of plumb..

Get yourself some corner block brick line holders. These will ensure your walls are straight and you courses are level.

Also consider using trench blocks, MUCH MUCH easier to come out of the ground with these and they build inner and outter wall at same time.

Have LOTS of tricks i learnt while doing mine that i will gladly tell you and i promise they will help.

here is a plan of what i built if you are interested... Also doing the conservatory at the moment..

http://www.phenomenalfireworks.co.uk/images/newroof2.pdf

my build was approx 3.6 meters by about 8 ish Has a VERY compley roof with 3 hips and 1 valley.... that was fun

Mick.

Hi Mick

I have downloaded your plan. Very impressive. I will view it on my son's 20 inch wide screen. One possible reason I got my retainer wall slightly out of true (vertical) is using a cheap spirit level (wicks).

I am hoping to get help with digging. Can't get a digger garage in way.

I got my brickey yesterday a brick and block laying tool sold on idealworld tv. Corner block line holders is supplied with bricky. I admit it's a clever invention. I saw the DVD on it the guy makes building easy.

Using trench foundation blocks means I only have to lay strip concrete to thickness of 200mm. Do I have to put reinforcing bars in.

I will buy a good quality spirit level and a laser beam level. I would like to thank you for really encouraging me. I have help but not practical and its patchy. I am having to chase the guy. (not ffavourableat all). I have helped many friends/collegues in my time offering support/help not only verbally but also practically. Infact I have gone out of my way done work for them. I got appreciated.

Times have moved on so I have a project in hand. It's a challenge for me and I want to succeed in completing it. I look forward in hearing from you soon.

Using trench foundation blocks means I only have to lay strip concrete to thickness of 200mm. Do I have to put reinforcing bars in.

How wide are your footings going to be??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back