Raft foundation on a two story extension

Sorry, I meant stuttering it off then building a raft and filling it with concrete.

Sponsored Links
A raft doesn't work like that. It is like the name suggests something flat that "floats" on top of the poor ground and the building sits on top. The foundation and the floor slab are all cast as one monolithic block.

Unless you are seeing signs of movement I really wouldn't worry.

Is there any way I can put this right may be digging all the way round the foundation exposing the concrete then building a raft all the way round then Shuttering and fitting it with concrete do you think that will solve the problem.

What problem? Is there one, or a percieved one? How do you solve a percieved problem?

Anyway, you can't just cobble up something and add bits and pieces to make some sort of Frankenraft. A raft is designed and designed for a specific reason in a specific way.

If you really really need to know what may or may not be suitable, then you will need to pay a structural engineer to examine the location, the ground conditions, the building, and report. But even then its going to be full of what-ifs could-do's and maybe's more to protect the author than you as the homeowner.

You need to just move on (or move out) and don't worry about things which may never happen. Worry if they do, you'll live longer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back