fixing new raft foundations to existing raft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise how to secure a new raft foundation for single story extension to exsisting house raft , our orig plans had new strip foundation for extension but build inspector thinks house is on raft, can you advise most cost effective method thanks.

Sponsored Links
Be v careful. Adding to a raft changes centres of gravity of loads, which changes bearing pressures across the footprint; in turn, that can lead to movement, depending on what's underneath. As the extension is effectively three-sided, the natural tendency will be for the new raft to impose greater bearing pressures under itself to the side away from and parallel with the existing building, unless the connection is designed by looking at the existing and new raft working as one.

The alternative is to design the new raft so both its and the load CofGs are in the same place, so that the bearing pressure is equal, usually by extending it out beyond the outer parallel wall. Only nominal fixings, such as steel dowels resin-bonded into the existing raft at, say 600 centres, would then be required; or it can be left entirely free from the existing one. This requires some knowledge of the ground conditions.

Why does the BCO suspect it's on a raft? If the building's not that old, they should have the records/design/details for what was actually done. Are you sure that you actually need a raft for the extension?

Sounds like you need an SE to take a look at it for you.

If you need a raft, then I doubt you can just make one up, and it will need designing by an engineer - or the BCO wont approve it. This will resolve your connection conundrum

You may need to get digging to see what is actually down there

Sponsored Links
Yes, I thought I would have to check his answer, but his post seems ...... satisfactory. :cool:

LOL - who's got a sore head from too much festivities then?

Happy New Year to all engineers!

Heheh, nope, I was stone cold sober for the entire festive season :eek:

I look forward to much more mirth, merriment, p*ss-taking, patronising rejoinders and general denigration of our respective quals and professions as the year progresses :)

Many thanks for your reply.The good news is build.inspector came again today with his mate, he said ok to go ahead with strip foundations as drg,pity his mate did not come originaly! lost us a week. still common sense has prevailed Best regards & thank you for your valued time

No problem. Nice to see commonsense prevailing so early in the new year! Best of luck with it all...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back