Raft foundation HELP PLEASE - CAN'T FIND INFO ANYWHERE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm just about to start work on building my extension, but I have a question that I hope somebody will be able to answer first...

I have plans for the raft foundation, but the design is for a single storey extension as that is what I had planned on initially. I've now changed my mind and decided that the extra space a double storey extension would provide would be useful.

Do I need to make any changes to the raft foundation plan (i.e. deeper, extra reinforcement, etc.) to ensure it'll support a double storey extension?

Also, there's no mention, on the plan, of how to tie the raft foundation in to the existing standard foundations of my house; do I not need to do this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't have building reg's drawings; I plan to just submit a building notice rather than a full plans.

Sponsored Links
Why a raft? why not conventional footings? what is the house foundation?

Don't have building reg's drawings; I plan to just submit a building notice rather than a full plans.
That's a very bad idea for someone who doesn't know exactly what he is doing and is absolutely sure that he won't get anything wrong.

A full plans submission doesn't cost any more.

I am about to start a self build on a raft foundation, the sunroom has less steel in it than the rest of the house. So it does matter on the raft spec, best check with engineer.

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm comfortable with constructing the extension (inc. raft) and only submitting a building notice; it's just the raft that I'm not that knowledgeable on.

Is there anybody out there that has the answer I'm looking for?......If there is anybody out there with experience of designing raft foundations who can confidently tell me that the existing single storey raft design will be fine for double storey, or that I simply need to double the reinforcement, etc, that'd be great??? :)

Thanks.

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm comfortable with constructing the extension (inc. raft) and only submitting a building notice; it's just the raft that I'm not that knowledgeable on.

Is there anybody out there that has the answer I'm looking for?......If there is anybody out there with experience of designing raft foundations who can confidently tell me that the existing single storey raft design will be fine for double storey, or that I simply need to double the reinforcement, etc, that'd be great??? :)

Thanks.

You don't seem to get it.

If you go down the BN route then YOU have to ensure that what YOU do will be found to be OK at inspection time. And you are not filling anybody here with confidence that you are knowledgeable enough to do that.

What are you so set against doing a full plans submission?

You don't seem to get it.

If you go down the BN route then YOU have to ensure that what YOU do will be found to be OK at inspection time. And you are not filling anybody here with confidence that you are knowledgeable enough to do that.

What are you so set against doing a full plans submission?

No, it's you who doesn't seem to get it.

If you refer to my initial post, I have raised 2 queries regarding raft foundations. So long as I am confident the raft design is adequate for a double storey extension, then I will have nothing to worry about when it comes to building reg's.

You still haven't stated why you wish to build off a slab rather than conventional footings.
To do properly, slabs are more difficult than strip footings. Is the existing house on a slab?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back