Building Extension

Basecoat,

When you planning to make a start ? I am fitting the window and back door to mine this weekend then i can start plastering the interior and render the exterior...

Its great once you start laying the bricks...

Here is mine as it stands at the moment... And yes i did all of it myself roof timbers and all..

imadethat.jpg

you cant see the rear section from that picture, but the roof is quite complex, 3 hips and a valley.... your doing right having a go yourself... i had never attempted anything like this before i built that and i think you will agree, it isnt a bad attempt...

Mick

Sponsored Links
Mick Leek said:
Basecoat,

When you planning to make a start ? I am fitting the window and back door to mine this weekend then i can start plastering the interior and render the exterior...

Its great once you start laying the bricks...

Here is mine as it stands at the moment... And yes i did all of it myself roof timbers and all..

imadethat.jpg

you cant see the rear section from that picture, but the roof is quite complex, 3 hips and a valley.... your doing right having a go yourself... i had never attempted anything like this before i built that and i think you will agree, it isnt a bad attempt...

Mick

Hi "Mick"

I am impressed. That is great for a person who has never built before. Last week I was trying to sort out party wall issue. Building regs said it takes atleast a fortnight for them to get back to me. Static rightly pointed to me the importance of having written consent under party wall act 1996 before I attempt digging for foundations.

I spoke to my neighbour saturday he was in agreement but insisted his son will see to it. This afternoon I served the notice with detailed plans of my proposed building. Hopefully he will get back to me in the next couple of days.

Whilst I am waiting I am going to do costing for the project.

Once I have the written consent then all systems go. I will start digging.

I am determind to build extension myself. I am a multiskilled person but building was not my field. Now it is.

I think it was more relavant in getting the inspector on our side. He seen a good job on his first visit and didn't need to be too officious. It made things easier later on in the build for the ocasional "plan B"

stevie-b said:
I think it was more relavant in getting the inspector on our side. He seen a good job on his first visit and didn't need to be too officious. It made things easier later on in the build for the ocasional "plan B"

Hi "stevie-b"

You're absolutely right about having the inspector on our side. I spoke to him in mid march he seems to be helpful chap. I told him I am going for self build
He said as long as building regs are met there is no problem. I am awaiting to hear from him pending my building regs application lodged last Tueday.

You have again touched on an equally important aspect of having "plan B" in place just in case. I discussed this with my family last night. I hope all goes to plan and turns out as anticipated but you never know.

This is a good sign that you guy's are pointing me to the right direction. It's a big help. Mick has done very well for himself considering he has never built before. Guy's please keep me informed. I value it.

Sponsored Links
Basecoat said:
I am hoping to get help with digging. Can't get a digger garage in way.
I haven't read it all here, are you having a new garage later on, if so can you not widen the the opening temparory to let the digger through? If it's the precast type, you can take it apart. My digger went through the 30" door opening!

masona said:
Basecoat said:
I am hoping to get help with digging. Can't get a digger garage in way.
I haven't read it all here, are you having a new garage later on, if so can you not widen the the opening temparory to let the digger through? If it's the precast type, you can take it apart. My digger went through the 30" door opening!

Hi "masona"

Mine is a 2 phase project. Extension is phase 1 and garage phase2. I have a big concrete slab to get rid of before I can start digging foundations. Once the slab is out of way then I can get digger in.

Digger will most certainly make life easy. What sort of charges are we looking at for hiring one.

Basecoat said:
Hi All

New to this forum but have been helped via a friend with boiler problem. Having my plans approved I am about to embark on building my extension. I am not a builder but very keen DIY person and am determined to build my own extension. I will use tradesmen as and when I need. Most of the work I am going to do myself.

Having spoken to local building regulations inspector he was helpful in explaining what the requirements are. I am applying for building regs. What I would like help with is how do I set about in starting the work. How do I price the materials and services. Help will be very much appreciated.

Basecoat

Hi Basecoat,

How's your selfbuild extension going, do you have any plans you could upload, and any tips so far? I'm in the process of getting the plans approved.

Serendipity struck today when my neighbour opposite let me know he needs 18 tonnes of top soil. He was more than pleased when I said I'd be shifting at least 12 tons of the stuff, saves me hiring a Skip. :LOL:

locked, see forum rule 20

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back