building inspector infomation please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
had an extension built about two years ago and are having problems now and wondered if the building inspector checked the builders work at each stage and did he check it in enough detail so my question is where do you go to find out and what do you ask for ?? appriciate any help please THANK YOU !!!

P.S. i live in chiselhurst area

Sponsored Links
Did you (as the homeowner) have the extension built?

Did you involve b.c./planning and did you obtain a reference number?

If so, did you call for the inspections yourself or did you arrange for a third party (i.e. builder, site manager) to take on the responsibility?

Just to clarify; It is the responsibility of the homeowner to see that the building is done legally.

its my son in laws house and aparently everthing was signed off work was done by polish and is throwing up a few problems some areas look a bit iffy to me so thats why i wanted to see any reports what do you think my chances are?

If you have doubts and it has been signed off as you say get in touch with them and discuss your issues.

Sponsored Links
What you need to understand here is that b.c. are not in control of quality issues.

its more a case of they seemed to have taken shortcuts and yes the quality is iffy but what concerns me is did they ley correct foundation thickness ,did dpc go in and at correct height (cant see any) important things like that wondered if inspectors would have record ?

Building Control do periodically inspect at key points, completion of drainage for example ( and upon advice by the builder that a certain stage has been reached). They do not supervise the works and will not be on site regularly. They don't accept any responsibility for workmanship nor are they there to police the build quality.
The onus is on the constructor and any clerk of works or architect employed by the client check quality if there are conerns during the build.
If you have specific concerns about compliance in accordance with the regulations - they may offer advice but the sign off by Building Control is based upon an application - done by the contractor - who states that he has built in compliance with the drawn information.
The quality etc is ultimately the responsibility of the builder. In accepting the work and paying him - that is the clients approval effectively.
In terms of contractural law - there is a 1 years defects period but you're unlikely to get any feedback if your builders have returned to Poland!
Good luck!

The BCO's would have checked the various stages of the build and by issuing a completion certificates means it complies with the Building Regulations. The only difference may be if a Building Notice or Full Plans application was submitted in which a Building Notice wouldn't require an approval. Regardless of that, the BCO's still would have inspected and yes, they would have kept file notes during construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back