Building Inspector Left Me a Letter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got in today to find a letter from the building inspector saying that they wanted to send a surveyor out to inspect the refurbishment I was doing on my house as there had been a complaint.

It's sort of out of the blue and there is no detail they want me to call to make an appointment. I suspect the neighbours have complained about the and rather than speak to me have phoned the council.

I've checked the council website and all the jobs I'm doing are not notifiable and the one's that are, i.e. the electrics and the gas I've had contractors to do and the council would have received a copy of the certs some years ago.

My question is really I work away from home and I don't have time to take off to just allow someone to visit? there is nothing dangerous in my house so what power do they have.

Rather than ring I was going to write back explain what I'm doing and reference the certificates I have obtained or am I wasting the time will they just demand entry to the house......if so what sort of timescales are involved in this process

any advice please are these people like the police?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Loads of info on the internet, I believe they can enter if you give them permission or if you don't they can go to a magistrates court to get a warrant.
Try speaking to them first, if you have nothing to hide then why worry. Can you get someone trustworthy to give them entry if you can't afford time off?

Quick search turned up this: http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourri...s-to-enter-your-home/planning-and-rating.html

Ring them up and ask what the problem is. Also tell them to come at a convenient time that is good for you.

Sponsored Links
There is a duty BCO for evening and weekend emergencies.

However, you may like to suggest that if they don't believe your explanation, and still feel the need to inspect, then you will be happy for a weekend inspection - which they should accommodate as a customer service in this day and age

I'll also offer them photos, as I suspect they think I'm doing a loft conversion when the only thing up there is a big water tank

I'll also offer them photos, as I suspect they think I'm doing a loft conversion when the only thing up there is a big water tank

Why offer them photos?
Let them go to the trouble of getting off their back****s and get up a ladder and mooch round the loft for themselves.

Loads of info on the internet, I believe they can enter if you give them permission or if you don't they can go to a magistrates court to get a warrant.
Try speaking to them first, if you have nothing to hide then why worry. Can you get someone trustworthy to give them entry if you can't afford time off?

Quick search turned up this: http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourri...er-your-home/planning-and-rating.html[/QUOTE]

I don't see anything about Building Control there, just Planning. Do BC have a right of entry?

Cheers
Richard

Section 95 of the Building Act 1984 grants powers of entry to BCO's to check for contraventions - enforced by a magistrates warrant if entry is refused

Section 95 of the Building Act 1984 grants powers of entry to BCO's to check for contraventions - enforced by a magistrates warrant if entry is refused

There you go then, OP. Black-clad Building Control Officers will be abseiling out of helicopters and swarming through your windows before you know it. Or possibly after 24 hours notice.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back