Building Material Estimation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I m trying to get an approx price for material to see if I can afford an extension with my hubby and how much more saving we need to do

Does anyone know

1) How many bricks per square metre
2) How many blocks per square metre
3) How much conrete is required if trench width is 600MM and depth is 1.2 metres per linear metre
4) Approx how many metres of much will fill a 10 yard skip

I knw the windows and doors are expensive and I have priced up the roof.

What other big ticket items are there forgetting the internals because we will do that next year.

For now we want to build just the shell

Sponsored Links
Labour will be at least half the cost, especially for groundworks. Windows will be mostly materials though.
The block/ brick rates per m are easily Google able, but you also need wall ties, insulation (can be expensive) mortar, dpc, cavity trays, weep vents and cavity closers.
If you're doing trench fill all the way to the top you'll need 1.2x0.6m2 of concrete to fill it so .72
And muck bulks up when you chuck it so you'll need more skips than the material excavated.
This sounds like it has a lot of variables, my recommendation would be to get a quote as it sounds like with these basic questions you will be better to ask the contractors what they need. I assume your paying a day rate and supplying materials.

Why not post a sketch on here with dimensions and a pic of where it going on the house.

That way you should get more specific advice.

It sounds like you dont mind doing your research to learn how to calculate costs rather than simply asking a builder to spend time dojbg a speculative quote. (not that you would get many builders pricing without b/regs dwgs).

Before dojng costings, I would consider the following:

Is planning needed?

You will need building regs you could try an ibdependant like BBS for plan checking and inspection costs.

You will def need building regs dwgs done by a professional.

Find out what your foundations are likely to be, major influences are soil type and trees nearby. If budget is tight, dont just assume a 1 metre deep footing is ok.

Ask neighbours that had extensions done, they will tell you depth. Check distances to trees and hedges then go to NHBC foundation depth calc for a guide. An oak tree within 20m or so could increase depth(cant remember exact dist).

Access and ground levels influence cost a great deal. Do you have access width if 900mm for a mini digger?

Skips -top soil fluffs up by very roughly 50%.

If your ground is good and ground level not much below floor level, then a concrete slab is the easy way to do floor. The ground will need digging down roughly 450mm down from ground level to allow for hardcore, sand blinding, oversite, insulation, screed.

Dont forget plant hire.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back